Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation

Is group orientation more effective than individual orientation policy?

It is hard to say. I have done both. Pros and cons of both. In a large group there is opportunity for more questions and opinions to be shared. Smaller groups allow for closer personal attention. I have found that the smaller groups tend to get done quicker and the larger groups take longer to go over the same amount of material.

I personally prefer the group orientation when possible. One of the reasons is because they do not feel so alone and isolated. They actually form teams and an aliance and there tends to be more teamwork as time progresses.

I feel that the group orientation is more effective due to more input and feedback. Anytime there is more than one opinion or thought results into more useful information. This would be at the discreation of one's self.

I agree, I have done both as well, and it is hard to say. I think individual attention (an individual orientation) may be seen as adventageous to the employee, while a group orientaion more expeditious for you. A group, though, sometimes bonds -- I have had instructors go through group orientation together, and even though they are in different departments they share a bond

I think that group orientation vs. individual orientation depends upon the person in the orientation. Some people learn and retain better in group settings, whereas others do better on an individual basis. Overall, the company should use whichever is best for their setting.

Brandi,

Many organizations recognize the need for varied types of orientation for new employees. My schools tend to have group sessions when they can to leverage the staff's time. We also have developed online courses that new faculty complete individually. These courses address our history and culture, the policies that apply to faculty members and some of the basics of planning and instruction.

A checklist is completed for all new faculty members so that we do not miss anything.

The checklist is an excellent idea. At our school, we offer individual and group orientation. Since our instructors are located nationwide this provides an opportunity to train them as well as develop regional faculty teams. We offer online individual orientation as well as four weeks of online training.

I think it really depends on the actual position and the number of people in the group. If you are conducting an orientation for faculty along with admissions and financial aid, I don't think it will be very effective due to the vast differences in their jobs, the skills required and the different types of training that will be required. That being said, if you are going a group orientation with all faculty, it would really be effective since they all need to know the same information with maybe only a few variences.

This may be more of a personal choice. Either can be effective. The best choice would be to do a group orientation for multiple new hires, and an individual orientation when only starting a single new hire. Group orientations can certainly save an enormous amount of time when orienting multiple new hires.

I prefer one-on-one to ensure that all questions are covered and that there is enough time for the new employee to give back to me their understanding of what was covered.

Bernice,
I have organized it both ways, and either is effective. Sometimes in a group setting the atmosphere is more relaxed.

Sign In to comment