Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Conducting job interviews...

What are the best questions to ask?

Holmer,

This depends on what you are looking for. The course asks one to clearly define what one is looking for. Those are the "best questions" to ask.

Jeffrey Schillinger

The best question is one that you have already asked in a different way.

"can you tell me about a time in your prior work experience when you needed to be more flexible than usual?" I am finding more and more that flexability is a key asset to have in our school.

David,

I used to have a policy that late work is "subject to a 10% per day penalty." I was able to waive the penalty for students who kept in touch with me and/or had a good excuse for late work because the policy was not absolute.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I prefer to use behavioral questions related to real life situations the candidate will face in the position. I ask the candidate to walk me though a specific event and describe how he/she handled the situation and describe the final outcome.

Stephen,

Past behavior is indeed the best predictor of future behavior.

Jeffrey Schillinger

One of the questions that I like to ask in an interview is "Why did you choose to become a teacher?" That way I can gauge their answer. I want instructors that WANT to help others and the profession, not ones that are only teaching because they weren't successful in the field.

I also like to include behavioral questions during the interview. I also like to ask for three strengths with a follow up question asking for an example of when they have used each one of hte strengths.

Sign In to comment