Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Build the Bench

I am on a mission the ‘Build the Bench” on my campus. It has been a challenge recruiting candidates. I find that hiring the right staff, in the long term is more beneficial for students and the team. What experiences can you share that will aid in building the bench?

Elizabeth,

One of the better models I have seen centered on 'teacher training." Individuals who were interested in possibly teaching were able to participate in a series of sessions. T

Jeffrey Schillinger

What I have seen work at my campus is to really focus on instructor development. Weekly team meetings focused on building moral with the team and taking the time to have thorough candidate interviews. We always do teach backs where I invite everyone, not just instructors to participate and give me feedback so I know the instructor can also reach someone outside of their field.

I am going to have to agree with Ashlynn. In order to "build the bench", we must train instructors and build a team. One of the things we like to do at our Campus is to create solidarity, commradare and community within the instructor group. We do exercises that bring us closer together, but still teach us somethings. We have group breakfasts where instead of a meeting where we consentrate on what's wrong, we just go have breakfast at IHOP or lunch at a local restaurant. We do this typically once every two weeks. It allows us to become friends, which means we are cool with others telling us how to improve and how to become a better instructor.

When we do have our trainings, we are able to give constructive criticism without making the other instructor feel like they are being attacked. When you build you team with a solid foundation, getting others to join your team becomes easier.

We have found that arranging a co-teaching or shadowing experience in the first term has proven to be an attractive entrance into teaching at our university. Many times we find ourselves with skilled practitioners as candidates who have a strong desire to teach, but minimal experience.

Elizabeth,

This is a common issue for career colleges. What are a few of the most common challenges those teachers who are experienced in the field but inexperienced in a classroom face as they fly solo in the class for the first time?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Elizabeth,
We have gone through a couple of teachers in the last 8 months, and finding the right applicant has been a challenge. I don't think that we can always find the "RIGHT" person but we can help with the process.
For example, interviewing twice, the second time explaining exactly what the company is looking for in that specific department.
Then following through with the person on specific things they need to do.

K.C.,

You are correect, there are never guarantees that we will hire the right person. I read a ststistic that een the best hiring processed will result in a hire that does not work out between 10 and 20% of the time. A thorough approach using behavior-based questions helps the odds.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment