Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The instructors that I look for must have an extensive knowledge base in the course that they are teaching and be able to convey that knowledge in the many different ways that will appeal to the different learning styles and generational learners. Also the support that they offer the students must happen inside and outside of the classroom.

Omer,

What are some specific things you do to see if your subject matter experts are able to effectively convey their knowledge?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Based on both prior hiring experience and current evaluation of the qualities of excellent instructors, I look for a variety of things in prospective hires, including:

An ernest desire to see students attain competency with the material, rather than a desire to "impart their knowledge and wisdom."

Strong communication skills. This means the ability to model what we teach, have difficult conversations with students, communicate expectations clearly and be able to do so with a spirit of support.

A strong understanding of learning styles and how to meet the needs of various learners.

And a committment to supporting all aspects of the campus. This means understanding that the instructor has a larger role than just their own classroom.

Matthew,

Thank you for this post. What are some of the techniques you use to identify these attributes in an instructional candidate?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I look for someone who has been in the field for at least 5 years, more recent is preferable. I look at where they've been in the past, their field of expertise. I go a lot on "gut feeling" taking into account appearance, attitude, communication skills, formation of ideas, contributions to the conversation, and friendliness. If they present a resume with grammatical errors and a goal that has nothing to do with teaching, I wonder if they are just throwing out as many resumes as they can. Unfortunately, I don't always get a good selections of people to choose from.

Kathy,

Gut feelings are important when hiring, but depending on your gut can expose one to second guessing or even a claim of discrimination. The more objective you can make the process, the less at risk you will be related to new hires.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Approachable personality, ability to communicate and explain processes, experience in the subject matter area, and motivation for wanting to teach.

Stephen,

What are some specific things you do to identify theses traits in a candidate?

Jeffrey Schillinger

First and foremost, the deal-breakers include: subject matter expertise, relevant work experience, and education/training that meets regulatory requirements.
Secondly, the "Other Characteristics" include patience, ability to communicate effectively, judgment and decision making skills, active listening skills, and dedication to impart wisdom and experience to the learners.

Crystal,

The term "deal breaker" usually refers to a reason not to hire someone. The characteristics you list here seem to be the traits one would want in a faculty member.

Jeffrey Schillinger

The skills to perform the job that my instructors are teaching is essential and cannot be overlooked. In fact, they must be VERY good at performing the job as they should be considered as a leader of that subject matter. After knowledge of subject matter there must be a passion for teaching it and the ability to break it down into its individual components. In a way you must dismantle the end product so that you can lead the student's in the process of "assembling it" to see the end result. Further, the faculty must posses the intuition to see past a surface question to what the student is really asking (where applicable).

Theodore,

What would you say to those who feel knowledge of subject is not as important as knoledge of instructional methodology?

Jeffrey Schillinger

My opinion is that methodology of teaching a particular subject is essential and as important as the knowledge of the subject. Too often instructor are hired that have great knowledge but do not know how to teach (methodology).

Theodore,

What do you do to build teaching skills for new hires?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I consider the existing skills and qualities of my current faculty and look for hiring an instructor who will not only fill the gaps in expertise, but who will diversify and compliment my faculty overall. Someone who wants to teach and has a record of student-focused and learner-centered personality who is open to change.

Tyler,

Thank you for this post. What are some ways you determine if potential students are a good fit?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have always believed and have told my students that a resume/CV gets your foot in the door for an interview if you meet the criteria (skills, education, etc.) that a company is looking for in the position. After that it is your personality, goals, motivation, and other personality characteristics that is being evaluating to see if you are the right fit for the position and the company. I look at the direction of where I would like to see my program in a few months/years and evaluate if the applicant can help myself and others reach that goal. Are they student centered? Do they facilitate discussions, rather than lecture in class? Do they have the passion to teach and to adapt their teaching style to facilitate students from a very large learning curve? Are they a collaborator and team player? These are some of the questions I think to myself during the interview process to determine if an instructor is a good fit for our program.

Tyler,

What are some of your most effective ways to determine if potential faculty members have the personality, goals, motivation, and other personality characteristics you are looking for?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I look for instructors who are knowledgeable, have great people skills as well as organized with great communication skills.

Roselyn,

What are some specific things you do to measure "people skills."

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment