Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hiring the Right Instructor

I hire based on Experience, skills can only be honed and effectively taught by people who have done what they teach. I believe you most effectively transfer knowledge by a true understanding of your skill sets.

We try to build our staff with industry professionals of the highest caliber. We have always been known for excellence and we feel that instructors that have worked in related industries bring an important perspective to the teaching. Also with our on-going training program we continue to build classroom management, learning style knowledge and overall development of our instructors teaching skills.

The candidate should possess communication skills,the ability to listen,verbal and written.
Knowledge in the field chosen. Ability to create lesson plans,demonstrate application techniques in all phases of hair, skin and nails.Ability to create exams and assess exams. To be able to work one on one with an individual student as needed or in a classroom structure. To work with a diverse populations and financial backgrounds.
To have good time management skills,thorough and observant and maintin discipline in the classroom
and ont lab/clinc floor. To remain objective in all assessments,be personable,compassionate,understanding.

Experience in the field of cosmetology is essential as a prerequesite to being an educator . It enables the instructor to bring more to the table in so far as actual salon working experiences. Continued eduaction is essential and key to success. As an educator one must use every resource available to bring their best to the classroom/lab/clinic for tjhe students benefit.

First they have to meet the requirements of the accrediting body, second they have to be able to work with the non traditional student. This requires flexibility, patience and a passion for teaching.

I find the "qualified" candidate (through referrals and ads), conduct a phone interview to ascertain if they can teach the schedule I require and confirm their qualifications, if that is a go, I set up the formal interview and teaching platform which helps me to assess the "right" candidate! I also include my program director (if applicable)

I have almost 5 years as a acadmic dean/director of education and pride myself on the ability to hire the right people to help students acheive success....but as discussed in this module sometimes you find you have to settle (last minute hire...however realize this can cause more harm) so continue looking for a candidate if you are uncertain the right person is in the position!

If they are to teach our medical classes such
as medical assisting, medical records and coding
they must have had experience in these fields
as well as education. Our pharmacy technician
instructors must be certified pharmacy techs
themselves; our computer instructors must have
knowledge of word, powerpoint, excel; spreadsheets; desktop publishing and be proficient in all these areas. Our accounting
instructors must have had experience in the
accounting field. Oour instructors must be
caring, dedicated instructors who know the
importance of getting our students professional
occupations in the business world. They can not
simply say look in the book!!!! Motivation is
a key to our students succeeding and completing
their program of study.

I agree that experience is key to being successful however sometimes hiring a person with less esperience can bring a new energy and enthusiasm to a faculty group. I like having a mixture of faculty with differing types of skills and expertise.

I also think that having faculty who will be working with the new person is important. Most educational experiences need to be collaborative and finding an individual who can fit within the organization is essential.

Kay

I completely agree with you--as long as the person has the experience required by any regulatory agency--this can be a good hire.
Group do need to be shaken up occasionally and
hiring someone who can remind people of why they are in the business can be very helpful.

The skills that make a good instructor are five years of field experience in a broad range equipment. A candidate that has only worked on a few types of equipment in one aspect of the field will generally struggle as an instructor.

The quality that is most useful is patience. An instructor has to be able to pinpoint different learning styles and adapt to them. An impatienent person generally gets frustrated which leads to miscommunication.

Experience in the field for what I;m hireing for,ability to communicate and able to work with others.follow directions.

Experience in the field for what Im hiring for Able to communicate. follow directions and work with others.

WELL EDUCATED AND BE ABLE TO MOTIVATE STUDENTS

TEACH RIGHT AND MOTIVATE THE STUDENTS

Motivation one word

I hire based on Experience, skills can only be honed and effectively taught by people who have done what they teach. I believe you most effectively transfer knowledge by a true understanding of your skill sets.

What would be the most effective way to gather information on knowing if you school offers competitive wages and benefit packages?

I like to have an instructor demonstrate skills through a practice teaching session with faculty and staff members serving as the "students". I look for two of the most important skills a teacher needs, the ability to speak clearly and the ability to ask good questions. I look for qualities such as a passion for the subject and a caring, helpful attitude.

We look for professors that have experience in the field not only school experiencem, but real life experience so they can share their experiences with the class.

Minerva,

How do you document field experience?

Sign In to comment