Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We look for instructors who:
1. Can set up and manage a team of highly individual personalities.
2. Can resolve conflicts quickly and control the class
3. Can demonstrate more than one right way to do things
4. Can identify equipment problems and show students how to correct them before they become unsafe.
5. Have at least 5 years field experience logged and hold a surface supplied diver rating minimum
6. Have a strong commitment to producing quality graduates

Don Fast

A good sense of humor can go a long way
if all the rest of the package is there

I'm always looking for an instructor the has the knowledge and skills that are necessary to make each student successful in their chosen career fields. I would like for my instructors to not only be knowledgeable of the subject matter but able to perform the skills necessary for that particular subject.
Rebecca

In hiring instructors, I look for extensive field experience in the subject they are teaching. I have found field experience correlates well with instructor performance. I also look for good communicators, regardless of the subject. Since the vast majority of communication with our students is written, I ask them to submit examples of how they would respond in certain situations so I can examine their tone.

Some of the attributes I look for are a a well rounded person, who truly enjoys working with students. Someone who understands the needs of our students and how to relate to the demographic that we work with. I especially look for someone who can embrace change and is excited about it.

It is very important for us that the professor we qualified in his/her field, and he/she must be a good public speaker. These two things are deal breakers for me; however, his/her computer skills are not that important for us since we can always work with the professors on improving those skills.

Thank, Aristides,

Knowledge in the subject area and the ability to speak well in public are indeed important things for faculty members. Many would also say that knowledge of effective teaching methods and the right attitudes toward education are just as important.

How do you identify those who have the right attitudes and good teaching skills when you are doing hiring?

When interviewing, I make sure that I ask situational/behavioral questions to better understand the candidate. Asking what they would do in specific situations gives me an insight to how they problem solve and approach managing a class. I want to make sure that I not only get instructors who are competent in the subject and have the knowledge-base, but I also want to hire an instructor who will be able to manage a class.

Thank you, Anna.

There is a school of thought that takes the position that asking potential employees what they "would do" in a situation will not reveal as much about the candidates as asking them what they "have done" in a similar situation.

The theory is that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. The concept is called "Behavior-Based" interviewing.

Never being late to class or cutting it for some personal convenience.
Knowing student's names, and calling them by name

Thanks, Ligia.

These are some basic things that we would expect out of every faculty member. What are some things that make certain instructors special?

Along with coping strategies is a need to find instructors who can keep a balance of caring for the student and their issues in attendance, learning styles, and test taking and not "identifying" with those issues too much. Sometimes new faculty become enmeshed with the students' issues and loose the perspective of staying in the instructor role.

Julie,

Good point. The professional relationshp is importnat to maintain. We need to be "friendly" without trying to be a "friend."

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment