Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advisory's Advice

What is a good way to show the advisory board that their suggestions were taken and implemented? I feel they would be more likely to stay committed knowing their suggestions and advice were being heard.

I think a summary at the beginning of the meeting that included the items that have been implemented from the time before would work. For example, "Our school has decided to implement X. If you recall we discussed X at our last meeting and I want to thank you all for your input. It really helped us make a difficult decision."

Craig

Craig,

Great idea! Too often items like this are either left off the agenda or fall under the category of "old business." By beginning your meeting with examples of how the board's input assisted you in the process of decision making affirms their participation and contribution. I'm sure you will find that it also stimulates their active participation in the current meeting too. You might consider preparing an "annual report" to the board for the last meeting of the calendar or fiscal year to highlight their contributions and impact they've had on the school's success. This doesn't have to be fancy, just well prepared and nicely packaged.

R. Roehrich

The Advisory Board should be made aware that not all of their recommendations will be imlemented. However, some will be and others maybe piggy-backed. This is exactly the point; that is to get the best ideas and concepts and then use them. This if the beginning. The middle is the implementation. The end is evaluating feedback. The Board comes in again here. Decisions need to be made evaluating the effectiveness of results. This is also when credit should be given. When dealing with people, egos are involves. Work (effort)should be reinforced, according to B.F. Skinner, to insure futre applauded and quality work.

Wayne,

I agree, this should be included in the orientation materials new members receive. I think it would be good to verbalize this in your first meeting of the new school or fiscal year, just to be sure board members understand how their input will be used. It's important to discretely communicate to the board that management still makes the decisions regarding what is going to be used and what's not.

I like your "model" of beginning, middle and end points, but unless I misunderstood your intent, the board can be involved in each step of the way, not just to assess the effectiveness of the end result.

Our challenge at managers is to feed the egos (and reward the work when appropriate), but don't let them become bloated with so much praise that they become ineffective.

Good post!

R. Roehrich

At the beginning of each advisory board meeting we quickly review old business. Part of that discussion includes stating suggestions and reccommendations made by the board and what actions have been taken to address those items. It helps remind the board that their input is essential and taken very seriously. It also encourages participation from the board.

When recommendations are made related to a program or technical change, make a point to put in clear measurements for success. Make it a part of the advisory board agenda to take time to review the results as measured against the anticipated outcomes. And, when successful, take time to celebrate the success. If the objectives were not met, use it as an opportunity to conduct "lessons learned" and save in your board notes to reference in future decisions.

Jeanne,
This is an excellent post and you have captured the essence, value and purpose of managing an advisory board.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment