Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Form and Function of Advisory Boards

If asked to present a proposal to senior management on the form and function of advisory boards, how would you position it? How would you demonstrate the value of an advisory board to enhancing the accomplishment of the purpose(s) of your governing board?

I would star by drafting a statement of purpose to management. Then explaining the main idea is for the advisory board to to give advice and recomendations to campus personnel. Since an advisory board may have more direct contact with campus personnel beacuse their role is to help with product development and implementation, they therefore add to a school and their governing board.

Linda,

This is a good start to the Forum question, but would you please describe how you would communicate the value of the advisory board to the governing board? Specifically, given the purposes of a governing board, how would the advisory board you described contribute to the governing board meeting its goals?

R. Roehrich

The advisory board would contribute to the govering board by helping with accreditation guidelines to the programs. Also the advisory board should consist of people in the fields the students are studing and also have similar backgrounds, part of local businesses near school or just an interest in helping the schooland students suceed

Yes, I agree. I would have to tie in the importance of an advisory board to accreditation and improvement of the quality of the program, students, and graduates. All of which would reflect positively on the program, school, and owners.

First I would show them that it is a requirement for our Accrediting Agency and explain the importance of following all requirements for accreditation. I then would explain to them the advantages of having an advisory board. Not only does the advisory board help with giving advise about your programs and keeping your programs up-to-date they will also be a good network for the placement department. Anytime that you can network in the business community it is a good idea. It can also work to your advantage with donations of old equipment if you are working with a technical institute. Sometimes equipment may not be good any more but can still be used as a teaching tool.

Hildie,

These are all good supporting statements for building your senior management's support. I might expand on your part about the advisory board's input to the curriculum by demonstrating examples of where advisory boards have made a difference. In addition, if you can provide evidence of linkages to the placement office your “case” will be much stronger.

R. Roehrich

The purpose of our governing board includes the establishment and implementation of policy and procedures, which is based on operational issues and accreditation standards. Through the formation and utilization of the advisory board, it becomes a less daunting (and less expensive) task for the governing board in the areas of program regulations/requirements and classroom policy. The input from the advisory board becomes an invaluable tool.

Dr Stover:

From your postings, it appears that you have identified areas for contributions from your advisory board and are capitalizing on their input. Would you please share other ways you utilize the advisory board for input to the operational, marketing and career placement functions at your school?

R. Roehrich

I have used an advisory board for 12 years. They have been invaluable in assisting the college management on a range of topics but mostly with internal affaris relating to students, faculty and employees. I have an HR person on the advisory board, marekting people, people who serve the community in non-profit organizations and people who have organizational training skills.

I think I would tell management that they are missing a viable opportunity for inexpensive or free professional advice. We have also used our advisory baord in our greivance process in that faculty and students alike have presented to them and they have helped management resolve issues.

Cynthia,

You sound like the poster child for advisory boards! I am impressed with your articulate and thoughtful summary of how you use your advisory group to advance your school. How do you acknowledge your board for their contributions?

Thank you for your valuable perspectives.

R. Roehrich

I thought I answered this already but the advsiory board is valuable as a tool for recruiting invaluable knowledge and expertise on many aspects of management, education and marketing. I have had adiosry baord members assist wiht HR probelms, marketing events, studetn complaint issues. If its [possible to accumulate a board of expertise for free or little exensse why wouldn't an institution take adbvantage of that?

I giver them gift certificates to our student clinic for free treatmetns and I give them rather large gift baskets at then end of the eyar and I have given plaques to ex members and I invite them to events sponsored byt he school and give them passes to events in town.

Dr. Robert Roehrich
Answer to your question of 9/2/08
Advisory Boards
Question: How would you present, to senior management or school owners, the value of the two types (governing and advisory) of boards?

Governing Boards are not a viable choice in my situation because the school is private and relatively small. Additionallly, it is not foreseeable that the owner would relinquish power over the CEO, to a Board.

New Question: Wow would I present advisory boards to the school's owner?

Answer: The use of an Advisory Board has many beneficial reasons worth investigating. In presenting this information to the owner I would adhere to the following outline.
A. General Statement on Advisory Boards
B. School benefits
C. Owner benefits
D. Related costs

The most important function of an Advisory Board for the owner of my school would be the ability to evaluate and advise our on curriculum changes. It seems we are constantly tinkering with the content, order, and times of various aspects of each hour's instruction. The goal is to insure proper mix to minimize time in school and maximize understanding and skill. Since an advisory board can be a single purpose objective this would be an advantegeous selling point.

Another big benefit is the formation of a master mind group. According to Napoleon Hill the benefit evolves out of the members' application of their unique skills, education, and experiences applied to a common objective in a spirit of harmony. Our particular problem is now being seen from fresh eyes. Solutions are identified because of the different paradigms brought to bear.

The owner would be pleased to have other qualified opinions addressing the curriculum balance. The California Court Reporter's Board sets the school's curriculum. However, once the content is set we are free to adjust timing and order to enhance effectiveness. Help without being dictated to, I believe, would be well received by the owner. He wants what is best for the school. He also wants to have the control.

Additionally, getting input from a board meets a stipulated ("suggested") strategy of the Accreditation Council.

The fact that the members of an advisory board are voluntary means the financial aspect is not unduly burdensome, no salaries for the members. The cost of time for the employees, the owner, and meeting costs: food,beverages, and mailings are minimal and acceptable.

The tradeoffs are manageable. That is, the cost of instituting and maintaining an advisory board verses the solving of a nagging problem of perfecting curriculum will enhance the effectiveness of the students, our customers.

Wayne,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Q-1: I completely understand your owner's position on a not establishing a governing board. When ownership is the sole source of authority there is no need for a governing board. If ownership ever decides to bring on additional investors and the number becomes too large to control the company then a governing board should be established.

Q-2: Good response to the rationale for an advisory board. Curriculum input is generally the primary reason for engaging an advisory board. As you will see from the balance of the course, managing their input to the curriculum process can be extremely beneficial. Receiving input for content and balance is a good reason for their existence, but as you will see they also have many other contributions to make. I like the concept of the "master mind group" and would like to know how you plan to maximize their contributions along the lines you identified.

R. Roehrich

If I were proposing an Advisory Board to Senior Management, I would do so in the vein of a well crafted Advisory Board will make the job of the Governing Board easier overall. Advisory Boards are required for Accreditation and as I bang the compliance drum fairly regularly, it's not a hard sell. However, in current economic times - in which most businesses / schools are trying to save money, having a good advisory board that assists with a current perspective on markets, program content and especially job placement for Graduates is quite valuable. If we're heeding the advice of the board with respects to curriculum, technology and placement, it provides a solid foundation to lead to student success and overall student / alumni satisfaction. This leads to greater profitability which means the CEO is doing his job making the job of the Governing Board that much easier. Unfortunately, in the past I've seen a CEO which had to be relieved of his duties and it was not a good situation for the Board, the School or the Students.

I would propose that we form a committee that consisted of atleast 2 external members per faculty member, that must have recent experience in the area in which they are advising and be willing to participate by giving technical advice, assess the impact of changes, and serve as a public relations advocate to the college. I would explain how imput from the advisory board would be of great value with their current knowledge of industry trends and imput from potential employers on what they would like for potential employees to be learning and skills they need to be successful.

Outlining the purpose would begin with the importance of serving the industry where the graduates find successful employment and involving those industry leaders in the evaluation process of the institution's mission and success outcomes.

John,

Agreed, however, how would you incorporate an awareness of the Federal gainful employment requirements in the advisory committee's activities? Have you had the opportunity to review them with your committee(s)? How do thees actions interface with your curriculum design and delivery?

Dr. Robert Roehrich

John,

Agreed, however, how would you incorporate an awareness of the Federal gainful employment requirements in the advisory committee's activities? Have you had the opportunity to review them with your committee(s)? How do thees actions interface with your curriculum design and delivery?

Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment