Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First and foremost -- "if you don't know, ask" so that questions are answered truthfully and professionally.

An overall description of the specific job and it's place in the company's organizational chart.
The expectations as to adhering to the dress codes, language, deportment to represent the image of the company,
Decision making limitations and chain of command.

In small organizations, often there are overlapping responsibilities which require cross-training and in which jobs trade off and cover more than one job during sickness, vacations, lunch hours, etc. would be part of the job description.

This is great, Karen. Many companies don't provide enough information about the job and where the person fits in on the org chart. As I read your comments it makes me think that the school placement department has to be pro-active. You might have to help the employer fill in the blanks by giving them a work sheet to describe the job and list the job duties, reporting order, qualifications, and more. The process itself is so important because it allows you to know more about the company and helps to establish a relationship with you and the hiring decision maker. And you can train grads to ask questions about the job by giving them sample and formatted job descriptions. Great question. Thanks, Susan

A good idea, a pro-active school placement department might find a fit for someone not fitting the exact job description.

Interesting point. Most career school students don't exactly fit the mold. Many have no work experience so have to deal with that challenge. Or little work ethic or employment skills. So a school placement department has to be pro active and creative. Thanks, Susan

All the components (title, supervisor, duties, etc.) are important. However, I write job descriptions with a focus on communication. Bullet points don't quite cut it. I use job descriptions to communicate to the applicant or new hire all duties and responsibilities of the position, evauluation objectives and timelines, HR resources and a little insight as to where I expect the position and institution to be heading in the future. I have found that giving a little peek into the future for the position and the institution provide a lot of inspiration and motivation. A lot for a little...I'll take that any day!

Very creative and forward thinking,Dwayne. With this strategy do you find it easier to hire the right people? And do they stay and contribute by working within this environment. Thanks, Susan

We like to think it helps to find the right candidates however, sometimes it is hard to measure. The real impact comes at the second part of your question. With some advance notice, staff and faculty become more motivated to pitch in and help. I liken it to solitary confinement... if you are kept in the dark, you are likely to walk into a few walls!

Great image. Reminds us all to engage our staff and invite them to be creative and share even what seems like wild ideas. Our employees have answers to most issues. We just need to ask them@ Susan

Is very interesting questions. First the employee need to understand and be compromise with the institution and the mission of it. The roles of the job description need to be more than they do it and responsibilities of the work can be done. Finally when were evaluate about the work of all the year you can meet the expectations of the work plan.

MIRIAM,

We agree. Each employee needs to know the mission of their job. Why are they doing what they are doing and how does it fit into the organization goals? We think that prioritizing is also essential. Each person on staff has to understand what is a priority in terms of what has to get done each day. Most important, your staff needs to know to put the student first. As in every business - it is all about customer service. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Dr. Schulz,

I believe that the essentials components of a job descrition will include the persons job title, who they will report to, a summary of the job they will be performing, as well a detailed list of their essential functions in the role they are filling. This ensures that they understand what is expected of them in that role. In addition, if there are any supervisory responsibilties with the position, they need to be clearly delineated in the job description. A list of the core competencies of the position so the person knows what they will be evaluated on annually.

Janet,
This is great Janet. Now how will you measure them on the "excel" and outstanding go beyond expectations metric? Maybe we should let our staff know that we see them as a source of innovation and creative problem solving and measure and reward them on that basis also. And build that into a job description. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Good day,

Job description including a detailed written document should lead both employer and employee to have clear duties and responsibilities to achieve a best result in compliance with the organizational chart

Sincerely

vidal,

good points. Job descriptions need to let everyone know where each employee fits on the org chart and who reports to whom and how work is done. Also consider adding how the individual will be evaluated. We think job descriptions should encourage creativity and cooperation. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Job Title, Location, Responsibilities, Skills and Qualifications needed, who the Supervisor is, and the ever present "duties to be assigned clause".

The person reading the job description should immediately know what is expected of this position and there should be no questions as to what the position does or who they report to.

Eric,

Good points. We think the job description should be written so it is easy to evaluate the individual's performance. We also think that there should be an expectation of creativity on the job, thinking out of the box, and offering ideas for handling tasks better. We view all staff as important Team members who can work cooperatively and on their own. There may be a new look in job descriptions to maximize the known and unknown talents of everyone. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I believe one essential component of an employee job description is details. if the job description is clear and very well detail, roles and responsibilities would be known, expectations would be met and the employee will follow the organizational chart

PATRICIA,

That's a great start. Expectations are very important. For many jobs you can also quantify such as complete tasks in a certain amount of time or perform tasks error free, or behave according to certain customer service requirements, etc. Also indicate what the person has to do to get to the next level. Another item is to indicate who will they report to and who do they supervise. Job descriptions also have education requirements, certifications that might be needed, work history, non acceptance if the individual has a criminal record. Personal characteristics can be included such able to organized, prioritize, work well with others, and more. Amount of travel required is always good to include. Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

A good job description is one that clearly outlines the duties and responsibilities of the employee. It gives specific objectives the employee must meet to excel in position.

Gabriel,
Yes, we agree. In addition, we think a good job description shows the new hires how they can grow in the job and create new solutions and opportunities for themselves and the school. It shows if you value creativity and working as a Team. It points to who the Team is! Employees are a great resource for any organization. They just have to know what is expected and what is valued. They need to know you welcome their ideas. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment