Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"Library" facilities for schools without walls

Hello:
I am both a member of the Board of Directors and an Adjunct Faculty member of a school which grants graduate degrees. Our model is to partner with companies and the military. We provide the curriculum, accreditation, and faculty and they provide the students and facilities. We have a library in our headquarters on the east coast, but many of our students are hundreds or thousands of miles away. We are developing our electronic library capabilities, but does anyone have suggestions to improve our "reach" to our distant students?

Denzil Verardo, Ph.D.

Hi Denzil
Very good question. There are many online libraries that are available to postsecondary schools and can be customized to the school's programs. Try e-jones global and FIRN as a start. There are many other online libraries and publications available depending on your focus. Select the publications and then query them if they can make their publications available online to your students. Of course there is a fee for access.

Best wishes
Susan

What is your primary area of concentration??? I am sure there are online libraries that can support your students wherever they are. I would do a search for those agencies that serve students in your schools particular concentration.

Right you are Charles. There are many online library services to meet the needs of degree and non degree programs. Ejones library and LIRN come to mind. There are many others depending on subject matter. Many regulatory bodies will accept your contract with these online library services. You'll need internet accessible computers for students, passwords, etc. Thanks, Susan

Dr.,

I campus uses LIRN as our on-line libary and have had pretty good success with it. It seems to cover the topics we provide.

Hope this helps.

MARk

Hi Mark
We also have found the LIRN is very effective as an online library. And they can customize to your programs. We also recommend www.JIST.com.

We also suggest that a campus library contain other media such as texts, journals, videos, CDs, etc. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment