Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We also believe in externships. It gives students real work experience before going on the job and increases confidence. For those with little work experience, it adds some serious content to their resumes. Thanks, Susan

Yes, there can be some real challenges in ensuring that the learning experience is providing the student with the elements we hope they are getting and not just providing a service to the employer.

Nancy,
We favor the idea of externships for all programs. It gives students some job experience and takes the fear out of the workplace. There must be many policies, procedures, and agreements in place to make it work. We have to prevent the experience from being free labor. It takes understanding of the goals and objectives by one and all and a lot of monitoring. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

"Unintended Consequences"

For some subjects of study, the matter of placing students in 'real-life' experiences while in training may be more difficult or problematic than others.

For instance, the new coalition between ACPE/PTCB and indirectly ASHP---while the intent is positive in providing clearer demonstration of skill--I fear may impact schools which offer these programs. As new mandates approach, what I see are large employer chains in the development of their own in-house programs to meet the upcoming needs, instead of realizing an expected shift to schools to provide this training.

I wonder if other professions see the same decrease in externship sites when educational and certification requirements change such that employers create their own trained pool of employees.

Sign In to comment