Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We strongly believe in plans. A five year plan is both realistic and allows for dreams. If you want to offer bachelors degrees in 5 years then that dictates what you will be doing years 1 - 5 to get there. Also thinking about 5 or 10 years gets people committed to your school and develops a mind set of - sure we will be here. The yearly check ups determine how you are doing. We think there should be monthly plans. Because as you mention - things change, there are new challenges, and many opportunities. Thanks, Susan

I THINK PLANNING SHOULD BEGIN IN THE BEGINING OF EVERY YEAR NOT AT THE END.

A one-year plan represents the actual. A tactacial view of events, a timeline in real time. A 5-year plan represents the stratigic view of possibilities. In a perfect world what management is focus on. The one-year plan should be snapshot of the 5-year plan. As actions become reality the 5-year plan should be reviewed and in some case modified to encompass the achomplishments and/or correct the shortcomming experienced in the one-year plan.

Arthur,
Good points, Arthur. Maybe 5 year plan has the overall vision. Then the one year plans include all the tasks that have to be done assuming you are on the to motivate everyone to work with the same vision. Also it keeps everyone asking themselves - is what I am doing important and helping reach our goals? What could I be doing to be more effective? Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Remember the 5 yr. plan is the expectations of the future and your yearly plan is basically your budget. You need to have both to manage a successful business. We must always have short and long term goals.

Mario,

This is a great definition. All organizations need both. What are the long-term dreams and goals. What are the day-to-day steps to reach them. What measurement plans are in place to determine how you are doing and what changes need to be made. All this, in our opinion, needs to be shared with your Team. Everyone has great ideas and knowledge of operations from their points of view. It's important to ask them and listen to their responses. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I also run a private career school. We have yearly plans. However, most banks and accrediting organizations want to see where you will be heading in 3-5 years. Your plan helps everyone get a clear sense of your objectives and to see if you support your mission.

Sandra,
Plans are always a challenge and the focus is to be flexible. It is always good to start with the end in mind (3 to 5 years). It says you are still going to be around! It also helps set a path. Part of a plan is measure measure measure. That means there will be changes based on data collected. As long as you show the data and why you do things you should be on a good track and make regulatory agencies happy too! A flexible plan is perhaps what it is all about. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I would agree with Arthur that a one year plan is a very tactical tool, measuring progress toward short-term goals while a 5-year plan supports successful completion of long term goals. While I see the benefits of a 5-year plan at the institutional level, I prefer a 3-year planning model when working at the departmental level. Both models, though must be supported by an annual planning process.

Elizabeth,

Good points. What we think is important is to have a Plan that is agreed to and embraced by everyone and that can be measured and reviewed. Then everyone can decide the merits of a 5 year plan or 3 or 1 year. We like the idea of a 5 year plan as well because it creates a long-term vision in everyone's mind. The institution will be here in 5 years and this is what it will look like. It inspires creativity and develops the tasks and deadlines to eventually reach the vision. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment