Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Brainstorming...

If you have been conducting brainstorming sessions, what have you discovered so far? What new ideas do you think you can realistically put in place? What answers to previous questions have emerged? If you haven’t started the sessions, what do you think you will discover when you do start the process?

I have recently added some brainstorming sessions at our weekly Dept. Head meetings. I have changed my approach to staff meetings. It used to be that I would just get up front and give out info. Seemed like not much was accomplished. Also, even though I have Department Heads for each program we offer, it seemed like they were for the most part real eager to just sit back and let me do all the managing. As the owner /Academic Dean, I am spread pretty thin at times as it is.

Once I decided to spend weekly sessions teaching them, and delegating little projects to them, etc. it seems like our weekly meetings are much more productive. For instance, I recently gave out 2 assignments:

1. I asked them all to write down 5 duties they believe the Dept. Head has.

2. I asked each one to give me 5 areas in which they feel their staff should be evaluated in.

I am finding by brainstorming in this manner, they are all more involved and I am teaching them to stretch and grow professionally. Also, this is taking some of the burden off of my shoulders.

We are in the accreditation process now. The self-study analysis is really helping me to learn to delegate. Brainstorming is helping my staff to professionally grow.

HI Patty

Interesting points you made. One is getting your staff involved so they share their thoughts and ideas. And getting them to do some of the development work that is needed to grow a schocol. Looks like you discovered that with the right direction, permission, and instruction, your staff can be problem solvers and come up with creative ideas.

Brainstorming is a way to get ideas. The underlying premise of brainstorming is to create an open, accepting, non judgmental environment so every idea tht is presented is considered great. Some ideas can be implemented now and some later.

So delegating and brainstorming. It really works.
Best wishes,
Dr. Susan F. Schulz

These ideas sound very useable to me if I could overcome my main hurtle. Because of the way our program lays out no more than two of my instructors are here on any given day. They are all professionals with there own practices. How often is reasonable to put these meetings together? Is monthly enough? The way I have it laid out beginning now, is with monthly instructor meetings, seperate from monthly supervisor meetings, and then seperate staff meetings. Admissions meets once weekly. My thought is to bring them all together once a quarter to share where we are in each group, and put things together.
We have just begun the accreditation process and are working on a commitee to advise us on planning based on outside input. Is there an outline that you have to start this brainstorming process off?
Any input would be helpful.

Hi Debra

Great that you are thinking about quarterly meetings with all personnel. An ideal way for everyone to learn what the other does, how the school works, and to brainstorm for new ideas. Really important for the accreditation process so that everyone understands the entire operation of the school. You might want to have everyone work together on a five year plan. Create a list of all school development areas. This includes programs, tuition, student services, physical plant, enrollment, and more. Ask everyone to think about what they think the school should look like in 5 years addressing each of these areas. Then put plans in place to reach these goals year by year. Most accrediting agencies want to see school improvement plans. This is a way to develop them.
Best wishes
Susan

Susan
the quarterly meetings have always been a part of our structure, this next phase in meeting by unit on a monthly basis, I believe will be critical in identifing the opportunities for growth and development in each area.
I am still working out the plans for the advisory committee's first meeting and really am aiming at having a productive process before I set a date and invite them in.
Deby

Hi Deby

Just another thought on Advisory committees. Once they meet a few times you can keep in contact with them via email meetings. Or phone conferences. Advisory board members are always so full of ideas. Why wait to get them together for a meeting.
Best, Susan

My school is a bit different, we are non-profit, accredited and a college for actors! We completed a required self evaluation study two years ago as part of the re-accreditation process (which has to be done every five years.) When the accrediation team reviewed our strategic plan they asked specifically about adding programs and our plans in that area - in order to grow. Though we have done research to consider adding related programs such as directing and stage management we have not found sufficient evidence that there is a real need for such programs in our area. Grant makers often ask us why we don't have classes for kids. OUr feeling is that adding these programs might look good on paper - to those groups that want to see "growth" but can't we stick to our mission and do what we do so well?

We scheduled a brainstorming session 2 months ago. I had all employees attend, from the janitor to the president. I started the meeting by expressing some very lofty goals, generic in sense and very open ended, just to set a tone. I then opened the meeting up to casual conversation between groups that formed. Once the group discussions were complete we had a representative from each group offer ideas for open discussion.

In 3 hours we came up with several decent ideas to add to our long range plan. This will provide a basis for the written plan. But more exciting was the reaction from the employees. For the past 2 months since the meeting I have been flooded by ideas and volunteers to steer these projects.

Now comes the hard part -- actually writing a plan that can be managed for results. We will develop a committee that will be tasked with developing the plan that will eventually be submitted to the owners for approval.

Nate

It almost sounds like you are stuck between academia and business. Most business models include growth as an objective.

I would say that if your school agrees that growth is not an objective, you need to take a closer look at your standards of accreditation and show how your plan, which does not include the growth, meets those standards and submit that to the accreditors with an explanation of why your plan meets the needs of your institution. Show them the research you completed and how that research led to your decisions in the plan. Part of the plan should address the viability of the school, which is what they are probably looking for when they asked about growth and new programs.

Nate

Hi Nate

What a great success story. You opened the flood gates of ideas and they keep coming. Great. Why not have each group of employees work out the implementation plans for all the ideas. Let them continue to take ownership for making the ideas happen. You might provide a format listing what you want such as task, timelines, budget, people involved, deadlines, etc.
Best wishes
Susan

HI Nan

Interesting situation. School growth can occur in a variety of ways. It doesn't have to be from adding new programs. If you do decide to add new programs there has to be a demand from the students and/or the workplace. Implementing research could uncover what is needed. Perhaps it is continuing educaton courses. Or perhaps other student services to ensure students are successful. Or more involvement from employers. You are in a creative industry so use your creativity. And you are wise to keep looking at your mission.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi

Maybe the idea of growth can be extended beyond just adding new occupational programs. Growth comes from more students, increased outreach, additional services, other sources of revenue producers ,etc.
Best wishes
Susan

I agree with Patty. Program Director meetings used to be a "lecture" class. As Academic Dean I would stand in front of the "class" and "lecture". I found that it was better to start the meetings with a question. I would then open the discussion up to the floor. Before you know it, the Program Directors are doing most of the talking and discussing topics of concern to them. Meetings are now more discussion and a lot less lecture, more productive and I have to do less.

Thanks,
Jim Hicks

Hi Jim
How true. And hopefully managers and owners will realize that when there is a problem at a school, just ask your staff. Most faculty and staff have the answers and solutions to most challenges. You just have to ask them.
Best wishes
Susan

Brainstorming can be a good technique to use as a way to involve stakeholders in the planning process, but doesn't the leader of the process need to set the context for a productive brainstorming session like Nate Clark did in the above post? Often isn't this context for planning the school's mission, values, and beliefs?

Hi Patrick

Good points. Ask 10 people and there will probably be 10 definitions of brain storming. Brainstorming can be open ended and produce a lot of ideas as Nate's meetings did. Brainstorming can also be highly directed to address one issue or goal. Maybe brainstorming can be used for both situations. Start with open ended brainstorming to get as many ideas as possible. Then organize and priortize the ideas and work on them one at a time. In that way no ideas are lost. We've noticed that when an organization has a problem or needs a new direction, the stakeholders often have the answers. They just have to be asked.
Best wishes
Susan

I agree with Patrick. Sometimes you need to let those leaders know that doing this kind of sessions, would be easy either to find a good solution for a problem at a time or if you are working in planning the future at your Institution.

HI Luis
It all points to the importance of planning for success. Many ways to get there. A focus is on information gathering, getting the ideas of many people, the plan, methods for evaluation, and of course the buy in from everyone to implement the plan.

Best wishes
Susan

As a medical director for a vocational school for EMTs and Paramedics, I participate in formal brainstorming meetings with my Program Director and Curriculum coordinator and lead instructors. However I find some of the most useful information comes from informal sessions with small groups of instructors where I can get candid information about what they think is right or wrong with the program. I always insist that an instructor or other staff member identifies a problem that they make a proposal of how they would like this to be addressed. I then take this back to the formal group for discussion.

Sign In to comment