Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

External forces

It becomes increasingly difficult to manage corporate strategies in the wake of extensive external forces we must address. Today, the economy, job rates, homeland security, war, politics and individual survival weigh heavy on every employee's mind. We all come to work concerned about ourselves, our families and our futures. Employees remain under high stress levels every day. Trying to help employees focus on a corporate strategy can seem so far removed from where their mind is at in the midst of all this turmoil. A company can be wise to address the emotional aspects impacting employees during this process and into the future. Providing Behavioral Health Services, Wellness Initiatives and other similar benefits can both help employees decrease their stress levels as well as allow the company to illustrate to their workforce, just how important they are to the whole picture.

Our organization has Wellness and EAP programs and staff to assist with employee stress levels. We all experience stress in our daily lives but what is important is to remain focused on our goals to accomplish the objectives. By shifting an employees' focus, say away from the war, and towards the goal, he/she is likely to achieve the goal. As leaders we must also recognize the employees' stress levels so we may provide interventions or coaching as necessary because they are critical to organizational success.

Walter,

I think you make a couple of very good points. Clarity on goals and objectives to be acheived and coaching to acheive them can reduce stress and ambiguity. Worry does little in relation to acheiving goals. Well thought out, decisive action does.

Given the fact that we live in a very stressful word, working in a comfortable and safe environment becomes a need for current employees and prospect ones. Even for students, stress can highly affect their lives. As educators I believe that this is an issue that must be addressed continuously. Our campus works with a holistic education methodology and we target to educate not only the intellect of the student but also to teach students, faculty and staff to manage their emotions. We offer holistic education classes, personality seminars, yoga and meditation workshops among others. It is very interesting to see how students or employees transform into more efficient beings just by taking these classes. I think that a very important part of strategic planning is leading by example and positively motivating everybody.

Angelica,

Interesting point. I think there are multitude of benefits in seeing both students and employees holistically and supporting their development across all dimensions. What is the mission of your college and what types of education programs do you offer?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

In the more than 30 years as a campus leader I have never seen more external forces controlling our daily existence as a Career College serving the local population. Regulatory and external forces have certainly made it essential to continually think strategically, and be strategic, as an organization. Our survival depends on continually growing to meet the needs of our constituency and environment. We re-evaluate on a 60 day basis and update our strategic plan via the SWOT Analysis to keep up with the needs and threats to our industry.
Ken H

Sign In to comment