Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating a Culture for Successful Strategic Thinking

Can anyone give me some examples of how you have personally or you may have seen a company create a culture where creative thinking is embraced and questioning is encouraged?

Shannon,

Have you ever worked in an organization where continuous improvement was embraced and people were encouraged allowed to thank broadly of creative solutions to help solve a problem or continuously improve the institutions effectiveness in fulfilling its mission?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

One of the tactics I try to embrace when approaching an issue and trying to embrace creative thinking is to hold an 'idea sharing' session to discuss the topic. For example, we recently had a concern with safety in our building, and wanted to implement a new badge policy. Prior to writing a policy and rolling it out, the management team met to discuss, and had a very open, honest and candid discussion about the pros and cons of each approach (ex:taking a hard line stance on badges and denying building access to individuals without a badge, or allowing students in the building if they forgot their badge for the day.) During the discussion, everyone was encouraged to provide their feedback. This was critical to the process because the impact on each department differed greatly--for example, denying access to the building for badge-less students could lead to poor attendance and retention in academics. In turn, the primary concern for other departments centered around student accountability and safety, citing potential concerns of not knowing who was in the building if we allowed students in without a badge.

The point of the idea sharing session was for everyone to think about the potential impact of a new policy, and how we could think outside the box to draft a policy that worked to everyone's benefit, not just one department. Encouraging the staff members along the way to represent their point of view was important--but more important was empowering them to come forward with ideas and thoughts that make work as solutions.

I personally feel that creating an environment where staff members feel comfortable questioning the status quo starts with the attitude of the leadership. Showing staff members that it's okay to ask questions, and moreover, it's encouraged, is an excellent place to start.

I was working at a school where there was a culture that embraced creativity and innovation. At one point we were brainstorming how to attract new students and discussion came around (as it often did) to new program ideas.

The usual programs were mentioned, but our marketing director told us of a program she had heard about called "Non-destructive Testing." None of us had even heard about this program before and did not even know what it was. It sounded like a crazy idea.

Because of the culture of the school we felt that all ideas were worth looking into. We discovered that one of the most important facilities for non-destructive testing in the world was located a few miles from the school. We got the company's support to use their facility as a lab and developed a curriculum. No other schools in the area had anything like this program and there was a market need.

It was a "crazy" idea that we pursued because the owners of the school had created a culture that embraced creativity.

Kacie,

Great example. I am curious how your final decision has worked out and if you felt greater ownership by everyone involved in implementing the new policy?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

David,

Great example. Hard to imagine how many opportunities are lost because folks aren't open to "outside the box" ideas. There has been alot of research around scotomas that we develop over time that sometimes prevent us from seeing opportunities and solutions. It sounds like your organization has developed a collaborative culture that supports creative and strategic thinking.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

We had a greater level of buy in for the initial roll out of the policy because we had weighed everyone's input from the get-go. Not unlike any new policy, we had our speed bumps. But they were just that, speed bumps, and not stop signs. I'm pleased to report that the policy is currently in full effect and working well!

Kacie,

Well done Kacie and thank for sharing! Great example

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Shannon,

I was fortunate to be in a company that established a culture of creativity. That culture was established by initial and ongoing empowerment from the CEO who communicated to everyone in the organization that formal and informal committee's were not only encouraged by expected. That organization became very successful as measured by being the IPO of the year in 1996. There were many reasons for the business success of that organization but one of the foundations was the "Strategic Planning Group" where the CEO invited individuals from inside and outside the organization to participate in the formal sessions. That CEO communicated to all management in the organization the recommendations of this planning group. He also encouraged informal groups to meet and share their recommendations and ideas to the formal group. This CEO had excellent communication skills and was committed to this culture. He was ahead of his time with transparency and was rewarded by a company of highly motivated individuals who all pulled the rope in the same direction to achieve excellence.

Sign In to comment