Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The creative thinker who is scared to speak.

I have seen in my class room when students start engaging the student that has nothing to say soon has a voice.

Hi, is anyone out there. I noticed that this posting is dated three weeks ago. Denise, if you are reading this, I just wanted to let you know I appreciate your insight. Nicely stated.

I am the type of person in the classroom who doesn't say anything until someone else starts talking then I chime in. I don't know why I am like that but I am. I enjoy talking in a group discussion, I just can't be the first one to talk.

I used to be very much like this. Then I realized that my anxiety was growing while listening to other examples or waiting for my turn. Being confident in my knowledge, ideas, and creativity was the firsts step in coming out of my shell. Now I'm an excellent problem solver and have made several improvements within the company.

I was this way throughout elementary school and partly into junior high school. Then in my biology class, the teacher had a sign posted in class that said "The question I ask may sound dumb, but I won't learn as much if I act smart." This really jolted my thinking and from that point forward I became very vocal in groups in asking questions and offering ideas. It was quite transformative and has helped me throughout my career in industry and academia.

Sign In to comment