Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress with being a new instructor

I am a new instructor this year and it has been stressful trying to find a balance with being an authority figure for the students and being on their level. I am just as young or younger than a lot of my students so it's hard to find that place of respect. I know when I get stressed out it shows in my body language. Taking this course has given me the tools I need to be able to take worrisome situations and deal with them.

Ashley,
As a teacher for many years we continue to learn. We sometimes find we so things we wouldn't do again but it is a learning process. Please be patient with yourself but always assess how the process is working and change when you need too.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have found that it helps to talk with other instructors to find out how they deal with similar situations. There is no replacement for actual experience but at least you can get more information.

Juan,

When you can get the support of others with sharing of ideas and the collaboration of these techniques it turns out usually all good.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Last year, I was in the same situation. Over time, my personal mantra has become be friendly, but don't be anyone's friend.

I found this approach works effectively when it comes to working with students who are younger than you. It's also matter of confidence and knowing you are in your position for a reason. Because you have the capability!

With a relaxed demeanor and some confidence, stress usually tends to stay away.

Neelam,
There is a fine line between friend and boss. We need to be seen as leaders first and also humans with the needs for acceptance. Make sure we always keep our distance both remain close with empathy and understanding.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I like the term leaders that was used because that is what we are as instructors. I believe that I should hold myself to the same standards that I hold my students to. Sort of lead by example. Todays students respect those that hold themselves to the same principles that they are held to. I have found that this gains the respect of your students and relieves a lot of the stress normally found in the classroom. Showing some interest in their work and activities goes a long way to make for a good learning experience.

Robert,

As an instructor you are the unsung heroes. You ability to give people a chance of success by your leadership goes often unheard but it is a galant testimony to your devotion.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment