Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Work Place Stress

How many people feel that work place stress increases the quality of your work? Personally I believe I am more productive under high levels of stress.

"Different strokes for different folks," is definitely what comes to mind here. While you may find yourself being more productive under high levels of stress, others may collapse under such pressure. I also find that my performance increases under pressure while using tactics of "turning worry into action."

I tend to agree that I am more productive under stress but too much stress over long periods of time are harmful to us.
I think we have to make sure that we know what are positive and negative stress levels are and that we make sure we do things to keep them balanced.

Some people handle stress better than others so their levels would be higher than someone who doesn't handle stress very well. I tend to think that more competitive personalities are those who can like and thrive on stress. What does everyone else think about that?

It may seem thriving on stress is something others can endure but the real leader for health reasons knows how to handle stress. Physically we all need to have the intelligence that the body is telling us the stress is a conflict with our body and we need to out smart the consequences. Leaders often use all the techniques to reduce the effects of stress. Over the years we can see the physical results on our Presidents over 4 to 8 year terms.

Hi Kary: For short term, possibly I am more productive under stress; however, long term stress decreases my productivity, no doubt about it. That is one of the problems with my current work environment, there is a crisis going on constantly, and that increases my stress levels significantly. No doubt, that added stress results in more errors on my part.

I agree to some extend but how it is presented to you the stress your upper management has to present the workplace stress for the work load you need to produce in a postive way I find at my work it is not presented that way and so the work load can seem impossible for some people. I like to be busy and like to have deadlines because i produce more but the key is the postive side to I I want to know why alot of times and if se present it positive the work gets done. expample is in the classroom setting when talking with studnets they want to know why the projcet needs to be done a set way and I usually tell them it is a project you may encounter in the workforce.

I agree some people are more motivated by the amount of work that needs to be done and others like bits and pieces or work at a time both may be working on the same projcet how they handle that work is different for everyone.

cindy,
The beauty of a great learner is that they are always asking why. It is when we lose the questions of why from your students is when they don't care. You are obviously doing things correctly. Students need to know there are adversities in life which may knock them down but the key is to get back up and learn more.

Dr. Gary Carlson

cindy,
Handling challenges by employees or students depends on how the leadership presents the challenges. I have had my share of leaders and all have been different. We need to be aware of their style of motivation and direction. We only need the knowledge of what we can control.

Dr. Gary Carlson

It depends on the person. I work better under stress while others shut down when dealing with stress.
Kanidrus

Kanidrus ,
There is good stress and bad. There is no need to shut down under positive stress with rewards.

Dr. Gary Carlson

As the course indicates, a certain amount of stress can facilitate productive behavior. However, I have seen many of my colleagues become dysfunctional when subjected to extended amounts of stress (e.g., unrealistic deadlines, negative evaluations, increased workloads, public ridicule)and cease to be productive members of the faculty.

Perhaps the better question would be: How can we get everyone to understand the positive and the negative aspects of stress so that stress can be used as a tool for good rather than as a weapon for punishment.

Russell,
The best practices practice is to understand what we can control with great stress relief activities

Dr. Gary Carlson

I totally agree with this statement. I am good for a very short time and then I notice how the stress affects me long term both physically and mentally.

Donna,

We all need to practice regular stress best techniques. If we are good at practicing it will become old hat to beat the stress symptoms

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment