Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress as an instructor

I have been an instructor since 2004, in this field you come across many types of people, from all walks of life. Some are trying to start over; some never got the chance to get started. One thing I have learned is never judge people and assumes that they know the little things as thank you, good morning etc. I take no student for granted. I try to find out where they are and how to reach them. Sometime this can be very stressful, but I have learned to "Stop, Breathe and reflect.

Delores,
When we commit to being an educator like yourself it becomes clear that no two people are the same. When this is evident we also know that sometime in our lives people have been influential in our change in life with goals and new expectations for ourselves. Teachers are the biggest change agents alive. They can influence so many people in a life time of education. Your patience and understanding about how students come to you will make a difference in their lives.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I found the systematic approach to making worry more manageable helpful; now I know I need to evaluate, plan and remediate. Often times, I have gotten so bent about some situations which seem out of control, but now I have acquired a formula I can use.

Patricia,

If this technique works for you that is great. We all have different takes on how to make it work for us. As long it fits into the character of the person and it is beneficial for your plan it is a winner. To do this with success we need to accept reducing stress is a balance of mental and physical practices.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I often find myself stopping, breathing and reflecting, because some students do make my job more difficult. I have been an instructor for many years in the military the civilian sector. The civilian sector has been most challenging for me as an instructor.

Angela,

I understand I taught for years behavior problem students in special education. Your technique is good. We need to know the behavior you see is is inappropriate but it was learned. When we can treat precedent behavior it will diminish.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment