Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with a Difficult Boss

How do you deal with a boss who creates tension in the workplace and unmotivates his/her team?

Jordan,
I have been in that situation. The main focus needs to be on your job. If you love what you do and don't allow anyone to influence your motivation to succeed. I usually tell my friends who call with this issue to wait it out. I have always seen these kind of bosses who don't last forever.

Gary

Dr. Gary Carlson

This is something that I am dealing with as well. I always tell myself and colleagues that there are over 7 billion people in the world, don't let one person ruin your day. I do like the advice of waiting it out. I know that can be hard to do sometimes but hopefully it won't be for too long.

Lindsey,
My father used to say the sun will still come up tomorrow. This was his way of saying things will get better. My mother used to say all things come around and work out in the end. Both profound statements for anyone to digest.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have also dealt with difficult bosses in the past a few times. I made it a point early in my career that I was going going to encounter two types of role models. One role model that I was going to learn and grow in my position because of their positive influence on me and the other (difficult bosses) where I would learn what not to do when I became a leader. Now that I've been managing for over 15 years, those who still keep in contact with me tell me how they appreciate how I treated them when I manage them. When I think of leaving a legacy to those who know me, I like to think that I did because I "chose" to behave like the good and great bosses that I had instead of the difficult ones.

Ludin,
Great bosses are also great leaders. We all learn through our lives that even bad bosses have something to teach us. Fortunately we learn not to practice poor behavior we have experienced from others. Your experience and leadership knowledge will continue to take you far into our future with change.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have a hard time bottling my emotions. I'm very black and white. I tend to do my job as well as I always have but avoid my boss whenever I can. Work still gets done i don't have to be fake.

Ted,
If avoidance is the answer for your Boss you have the wrong job or the wrong Boss. Communication is a very important factor in working on a team. If it doesn't seem a team exist then it is a weakness in the organization. People don't care what you know until they know that you care. I would encourage any organization to be comfortable with constructive criticism and independent thinkers. Your ability to have a good self-concept of your knowledge, intelligence and ability to be a contributor will be an asset to the organization.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment