Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lofty goals are inherently good. The difficulty comes when people aren't making progress and being hurt and frustrated by the loftiness of the goal. When a person sets a goal to loose 100 lbs and they have lost 50 in 9 months, then that lofty goal becomes exciting and obtainable. Lofty goals have to be managed properly. Leadership helps the team or individual see how to change the approach for the next try.

I agree. Employee involment is the key. Using the experience and the knowledge they have is a great way to set goals. They have a role in the company's and their own future. I would caution however that if you set goals that are unattainable it could be a very costly mistake. It may backfire on you. They may get less motivated and just not even try to meet them.

Good point & that is why I believe by engaging the whole team in the goal setting process you have the opportunity to hear from them if they think a goal is unattainable & why. You can then engage in a dialogue to discuss further & see what the goals really should be.
Ryan

Hi Andera,

i really think that your employees need to feel like they can accomplish a goal in order to make them feel like they are accomplishing something.

Good point. And I personally feel that if initially your group doesn't think they can meet your goals, perhaps set some lower goals that build their confidence, then slowly increase the level of the goal.
Ryan

I see your point of wanting them to work harder but it is that feeling of accomplishment that encourages them to work harder. I believe that if you think it is an unrealistic goal then they will also recognize it as an unattainable goal.

Yes, I think the key phrase here is "unrealistic." It's perfectly acceptable to set high goals to encourage the team to work harder, but if they are truly unrealistic, this is a set up for failure.
Ryan

Hi Andrea,

Percieved probability of success indicates what actually happens when an individual’s goal is set too high or too low, and motivation is at a low either way. In order for individuals to stay motivated to develop and perform, they have to believe there’s about a 50% chance that they’ll succeed.

I feel this happens many times in the work world. I feel that sometimes managers don't understand the little things that make people "tick". As others have said, setting lofty goals for a team member may be outside their scope of knowledge. Smaller "wins" can go a long way in boosting the confidence of anyone. The same concept works for students in a classroom atmosphere. Give them something they can achieve easily at first to get a "win". Then increase the level of difficulty of achieving the goal gradually. Not everyone is wired the same, yet given a little extra support or time, the outcomes may be the same or even better.

Steven,
Absolutely. And really we can apply the same principle for a new leader or manager. Often that person will want to achieve some quick wins with their workgroup to build confidence. Same idea here.
Ryan

Lofty goals are often inspiring and results-driven employees can thrive.

Yes, our high achievers generally have no problem in nailing those lofty goals.
Ryan

Sign In to comment