Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that setting goals that I can achieve builds my confidence. And then I can achieve larger goals by achieving the smaller ones as I go. Setting unrealistic time frames makes things more difficult as well.

JODY,
yes, when you set out to run a marathon, you start by trying to run a couple miles & then build up.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think the perception of an reasonable vs unreasonable goal are just that, a perception. A perception which can be vaired depending on the circumstances involved for that paticular situation. Although, for companies, the acceptable/unacceptable goals are pretty evident, which usually are way different than personal goals. I do think it's important to have an ever-changing, well defined goal list for both business and personal goals. However there are exceptions, if you short-term or long-term goal is to win the lottery, chances are we can put this under unreasonable goals!

Danielle,
you are right that often the difference is perception & what resources are available.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My perception of a reasonable goal is one that has value and is able to be completed in the time frame allotted. It seems sometimes people don't do as good of a job completing tasks related to goals when they feel they are rushed and just push out substandard work. An unreasonable goal is one that cannot be achieved in the time frame given or one that does not do anything to help the person or the company.

I think that this is an interesting question because goals that are obviously realistic/achievable are generally not ambitious enough-- needing to push past the expected is very helpful for driving innovation.

Too much pressure though, and people would rather avoid trying than trying and failing.

I find that I don't find an ambitious goal reasonable unless it has a series of smaller benchmarks that can be met along the way-- but that leave room that less than optimal performance at any stage does not necessitate the failure of the goal. The ability to readjust these smaller goals in the light of factors that arise later is the key to reasonableness in my opinion.

My prespective of a reasonable goal is a goal that is realistic, aligns with the company strategic goals, and is achieveable.

Unreasonable goals are those are unrealistic or qualitative goals that are sometimes difficult to measure.

David,
this is a good point & yes we need to make sure that our goals are ambitious enough while still being achievable.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The more small steps you achieve, the more you can reward your self and the better you will feel about starting the next step.

Robert,
this is a great point; we need to have little rewards along the way to keep us moving forward.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I like the SMART goal idea. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-limited.

Suzanne,
it really does help you determine how to write your goals & keep track of them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree, its a great motivator when the employee can understand why the goal is in place and the pay off for achieving it.

Everyone in the team need to know why something is done and why it is being done. They need to feel they are part of the goal and not just the outcome

So true, when people can understand why something is being done they tend to take ownership of it

Trina,
yes, explaining the "why" behind what is being done is a key factor in motivating team members.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with Ryan on the point of lack of thoughtful panning. Instead of just barking order include staff members into the goal setting process. The staff members will be more cooperative and eager to see goals they help plan become achieved.

My Idea of a reasonable goal is Identifying why the goal. In doing so you need to decide what the measurement is going to be, (numbers,things). Simple to visualize and see the end in sight before you begin. Know in your heart you can manage any constraints that may arise. And that it only is going to take you a month. When you see your reward.

An unreasonable goal is miss directed. Always wondering what next OR not.

Jo-Anna,
I really like your point about identifying why we have the goal in the first place. This is a key step.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

A reasonable goal is attainable and realistic while understanding the purpose of striving for that particular goal. If the goal is unreasonable, that generally means it's not easy to meet, and it would be difficult to motivate the person to work towards that goal.

Sign In to comment