Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used both Bottom-up and Top-Down. I prefer Bottom up if customer satisfaction is the priority, because it is the one on the bottom who are at the front lines and here all the issues customers or students have to deal with.

Top-Down approach is best when institutions want to take the school in an another direction. Such as adding new degree prgrams and such. However, bottom-up could inform which degree's or courses students are looking for.

I think you make a great distinction here. It is important to note that there are appropriate times/situations for both top-down & bottom-up goal setting. Neither one is the ultimate solution to all situations.
Ryan

As part of a 17 school organization, we receive almost everything top down. However, I feel that we could be much more effective and successful if only the desired outcomes would come top down. We could be much successful in meeting the desired outcomes in the methods to achieve the outcomes would be bottom up.

I agree with you Steven. I have worked for a large national organization before & generally most of the desired outcomes came from above. However, our regional areas had a great deal of freedom to design methods, tactics, strategies, etc.
Ryan

I would employ the best option for the task/situation that required amelioration. I think that either approach is useful if it correlates to the situation and desired outcomes.

John,
I agree that we need to always analyze the situation & determine which method of goal setting is the most appropriate for the situation.
Ryan

As an instructor, I find that within my own departments, often bottom up goal setting works best.

As per the presentation, bottom-up goal setting is when "direct reports develop individual goals and their manager integrates them into larger unit goals. This approach is most appropriate when employees are fairly self-directed and clearly understand the business strategy and customer needs of the organization as a whole, as well as their own roles within it."

This is appropriate for a team of instructors because they teach different classes and will have different goals they need to meet. Yes, there will be some need for a combination - some goals will need to be set by the school itself and trickle down to the department, but by and large the faculty members are self-directed and able to best determine what professional development they require in order to be successful.

Thanks,
Kate

I will also utilize both models, in a team you usually have member that are self directed and can achieve not only the deparment's goal but their individual goals as well. I've experience both my colleage although very smart and intellegent would only accomplish those tasks that are directly requested of him.Other such as myself are very aware of the importance of achieving the unit goals which in terms will reflect on individual achievement.

Katherine,
I think this is a great example of when bottom up goal setting provides a valuable resource to a team & organization.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I would like to think a healthy mix of both top-down and bottom-up would work the best at our facility! Its great to have some things that you have to work for, but its also wonderful to be able to say that you came up with an idea and it works welll for your team!!

Marie,
Typically I've found this to be the best process as well. It helps to have that vision/direction from above, but it's also nice to have a certain level of autonomy.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I would use a combination of the top down and bottom up processes. I believe it is important for our individual staff members to convey their own priorities and personal goals. However, I have a responsibility to ensure that these goals fit into the global mission of the department and the entire school. So, in this sense I would also be incorporating the top-down goal setting process.

I think in many ways, there needs to be a balance of both. Top down goals are necessary to accomplish many initiatives. However, bottom-up can motivate staff into taking a more proactive role in their students education. Management often has a different persepctive of what needs to be accompished to run smooth corporately. But teachers and support staff are in the trenches and can valuable resources when allowed set their own goals for school success.

Melissa,
I agree that really goals should come from both directions & there is a time & place for both.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I believe it is appropriate to use both. Employees need to set their own goals at every level of an organization, but also need top down goals that are aligned with company expectations and long-term goals.

Jae,
I agree with your conclusions here. We must have those top-down goals to give us direction, but the bottom up are key for buy in.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I find that a combination of the two methods would be tyhe most effective. It allows the employees to feel active in some of the rules that may affect them. This would also allow for the "top" management to hear other methods and ideologies and be able to come up with a method that may not have been tested or even looked at. Either way multiple voice are heard with the greater good in mind.

I use both models depending on the goal we are setting. My team consists of faculty who are aware of our organization goals, but as instructors they have different goals they need to meet which are integrated in the Department overall goals.

Maple,
and this is a great approach to balance the two as you would not want to frustrate the process on either side.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

You would have to be more specific and explain "level of experience" and "motivation." In general I would opt for both ways. As a manager, because of the information I have about the organization,. there are top down goals I would need to enumerate. Depending on the kind of experience and motivation my staff has, I would like to think they could do some bottom up goals that would feed into the top down goals.

Sign In to comment