Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

the right balance

We just learned that we are closing this year. Luckily, we have time to plan our career moves before layoffs formally begin, but -- as a manager -- I'm trying to figure out how to encourage my teachers to take charge of their careers while, at the same time, remain focused on doing the job that they are currently in.

Michelle ,
this is definitely a challenge. I would say that the more you can show them that you want to help them prepare for the future & that you will help them, they will have more opportunity to focus on their current careers.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My school is also closing, we have a few months left. I have noticed that those who were proactive, who immediately began the process described in this course and looked for a new position were able to find themselves a similar or better position. A few decided to leave the field and pursue their lifelong passion. Those who did not begin the process are now desparately floundering as the closing draws near.

As to the school, it encouraged everyone to look immediately and managed to shuffle duties and responsiblities as people left. No one left the school in a lurch, managers were pleased to see good employees leave for new opportunities, so don't let that hold you back. No on is indispensible, you need to take care of yourself.

I, myself, decided to change fields. I am leaving in two weeks and beginning my new career in legal project management.

Linda,
this is a great example of how we do have to own our careers & our goals.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment