Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Distraction

I was wondering what a good tool is to block out the activites of co-workers when working in a cubical enviroment? For example not becoming part of their phone calls, or if they feel right outside your cubical is a good place to chat with others.

Crystal,

I suggest wearing headphones if your school will allow it. It is the only thing that has been effective for me when in the siuation you describe.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I always admire anyone who accomplishes anything in a cube farm. I think the headphones are a great idea except that they really isolate you from your surroundings and if something goes wrong you may not realize it right away. As far as the conversationalists-either suggest that they take the conversation elsewhere (yes this will give you a "reputation" but at least eventually it will stop occuring near your cubical) or have a discussion with the team leader and see if you can switch your cubical to a less "traveled" area. I had a problem with several employees in a cubical right outside my office who felt it necessary to always speak loudly on the phone so their supervisor would know they were working. I finally just asked the loudest one into my office one day, shut the door and let her sit in my office and listen to all the noise that came thru the closed door. She understood my concerns and toned down her phone voice so that it was not so loud and distracting to me-i made a point of thanking her for her consideration several days later. Many times people consider thier cubes an "office" when it really isn't and they don't realize how distracting they can be.

Rose Ann,

Work stations do tend to bring challenges in the environment. i like the headphone idea.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment