Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

leader or manager?

Which one are you? what is the definition for each?

I am a leader. A leader is someone who projects, understands and assists with organizational compliance in a successful manner. A visionary who sets high standards and achieves strategic goals; while leading and instructing subordinates to fulfill their responsibilities.
A manager is someone who understands the basics of the organization and makes decisions based solely upon the manual. A manager is prone to exercise authority from a more subtle tone.

I lead by example, by showing up early for class and being there everyday. For some of my students it is the first time someone is there everyday for them. It is very moving to get to know these people who pass through our doors on their way to a better place. I am so happy to be a leader!

Many managers approach their work as a controller, financial overseer or personnel scheduler with little attention to the key of success in these endeavors being their role of leadership. Leading will involve the personal relationships, examples they set,and delegation of duties to accomplish their tasks as a manager. A great manager must have excellent leadership skills.

Though my role is in managerial grade, I see myself as a leader by way of my participation in my team's work, monitor them, educate them, motivate them and guide them on carrying out their tasks effectively.

Nothing speaks louder than our actions.

I teach management/business classes, but also focus my students on leadership. In one particular class and at the end of the quarter, I ask my students if they only had one choice of two they could be ... would they want to be an excellent manager or excellent leader? Almost everyone of them say excellent leader b/c if you are an excellent leader then you probably are already an excellent manager.

Sign In to comment