Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Modeling desired behavior

I think that one of the reasons that the classes that I teach tend to have high attendance and performance by the students is that I try very hard to model the behavior that I want. Sometimes, however, all tacts seem not to work. I think we need new stratagies to go beyond modeling, to reach students with greater learning challenges.

We need to be consistent in our practices; we need not change frequently as this would break down continuity and would create confusion that may lead to inefficiency and waste of resources.

Gilbert Akpan.

I find that after much grumbling the student's do start emulating the instructor's behavior. I try to have as much excitement in my lectures as possible.

I agree. One student told me I needed to entertain him. I told him my job was to teach, not to entertain. However, on some basis we are competing with the entertainment industry. The students want to learn, but they want to learn in new and exciting ways. I also try to keep things fresh and interesting. I also stress the importance of attendance. I tell the students that when they are not in class they are missing what they paid for.

The idea of modeling behavior is a good concept. However, it also has its draw backs. I have often received feedback from my peers and students that this can be intimidating especially for individuals that have made great life changes. I have found that students respond well to a combination of modeling professional behavior, explanations of why and how I handle situations, and letting the student assume accountability for their actions. This allows the student to link the soft skills and the material that is presented in class while keeping them engaged. Association is necessary to develop an arsenal of successful skills and experience. An engaged student is always in class.

I agree that "modeling" a positive behavior is far more meaningful that "preaching" to your students and those who report directly to you.

I agree,staying positive and patient are a must when dealing with students.

I agree. We must set the tone for our students. If we aren't following the rules, they won't either.

Agreed. Consistency is key. Always modle the right behavior and student and employee behaviors will follow. This takes a great deal of patients. Rome wasnt built in a day:)

I can understand why someone would say that they need to be entertained. It's hard to pay attention when you're bored. The more interesting something is, the more likely we are to pay attention. Not to mention, everyone learns in different ways. Mixing up your teaching techniques will help to reach everyone.

I agree that leading by example is important in a classroom, especially acting as a professional in the desired industry of the student would act, but feel that it really isn't enough. I think some blunt guidance is necessary. Student behaviors tend to have very little consequence in the scheme of things and the same behaviors (talking out of turn, being late to class) have extreme consequences in the workplace. I try to both be an example and present the hard facts of the workplace to my students.

Sign In to comment