Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This course seems to be very user friendly, includes appropriate information, and is certainly beneficial to anyone in a management position.

Wendy is right. I too found this course to be very user friendly. It is very informative and beneficial to both managers of industry and education.

Leading by example is an important quality for good managers.

Employees follow by example. If a manager doesn't exhibit a positive characteristic that is expected within an organization, it is unreasonable to expect that manager's employees to exhibit that behavior.

Leading by example is also very important as an educator.

If we expect our students to act in a professional manner, we need to act in a professional manner. We teach by example.

We must be able to walk the walk and talk the talk or it will lead to disenchantment.

I couldn't agree more! I get so frustrated with students who do not check for proper spelling and punctuation. I even started reminding them to check their CUPS (Capitalization, Usage, Punctuation, and Spelling). This is a trick I learned from my 2nd grader who, at times, pays more attention to what he is writing.

I try to emphasize that in order to be viewed as a professional, you need to act like one. Whether it is shown in the way you dress, talk, write, etc., it is all important in presenting yourself appropriately.

It is so nice to hear others feel the same way

Does anyone have experience teaching high school students?

I agree to a point however, we are all professionals and need to set a personal standard for ourselves regardless if management can/can not live to that standard.

I also am an instructor of post secondary education. When you show enthusiasms for a course, so do your students. Classroom management will either make or break a class. Lead by example. You are a role model for your students, they will follow your lead.

leading by example is very important.
Along with clear goals

I agree.

I am very delighted to see how other professionals felt about business ethics, and the reactions that come out of it.

I find it very difficult to function as a postive example/role model when I am experiencing high levels of frustration. Acadamia is full of bureaucratic structures and narrowly skilled individuals who regularly contribute to my frustration. I try to watch, smile, and keep a positive outlook but there are times when I have to close the office door and shake my head and put my self in "Time Out".

In any type of management position or even faculty position we need to work on doing our job and being as "professional" as we can be. Most people at work tend to follow traits...what you put out is what you get back. Just like computers garbage in garbage out. Be respectful.

I agree,the manager is the leader. If his behaviors show that he is unresponsible or unfair, employees pick up on this and it will become a negative environment. The employees will not look to him as a leader and they may not follow his wishes or finish projects or work as a team to help the manager achieve dept. goals.

As an Instructor, it is our Responsibility to ensure our students are learning what is being taught to them. It is also our Responsibility to stick with the subject being taught.

Agreed

Sign In to comment