Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Emplyee thinking

How can we help employees to open up and share when they have personal problems that are affecting their performance?

I recently read the book "Sacred Commerce" it has some amazing ideas about how to have employees let go of outside stuff and then be in the moment while at work. They have a very specific process that I have not yet tried to duplicate, but I'm using their Question of the Day to help become a better listener - without advise, just hearing, then moving on with the day.

Personally, I do not think that we should help employees open up and share their personal problems. What we should be doing is helping them separate home life from work life. If people fuse the two together, it always affects their performace at work. All employees should be given an on-going training session of ways to separte the two for a more effective work environment.

That is exactly what "Sacred Commerce" does. While they do get to share - without judgement, it's really more of a separation - to let go of what may be on their mind that could affect their ability to fully be in the moment at work! :-)

Then they are clear and present in their activities and can be so much more effective in their work day.

I agree with this statement to an extent. I think that it is important for employees to be able to separate work from personal problems. However, the reality is this will always be an uphill battle for managers. I think the most effective approach is to use our skills to help our staff open up if they are dealing with personal issues. If done in the right way, this can be empowering for the employee and add credibility to the manager.

I don't think an employer needs to completing disregard that they have an employee being affected by something personal but it's the employees responsibility to keep personal issues out of the work place.

Ask fellow employees from time to time if they are alright and then wait for a response.You'll be surprised at how they will open up and then we will be more open to help them.

Important to convey confidentiality, concern and caring for the employee as a person, not just as an employee.

Excellent reference and suggestion. Will look for this book. Thank you.

you are right....Employee or Employer we are all Human!! sounds good to try to keep personal problems out of the work place but not all the time can a person do that. I am the Lead Instructor at our school and the one thing I can say about the other employees they do the best they can but alot of the time if I DONT let them vent to me... the students get it...I dont like for that to happen so I listen.

Many of the students are effected by personal issues at home, and most of the times this does interfere with their work. It is important to always be available for students, and to be aware of resources available for them that we may be able to involve in their progress. These resources may be within the educational program, or they may be within the community. I think that the resources available can have astounding effects on the student's ability to succeed, even when experiencing profound personal difficulties.

The employer should discuss the work performance issue and offer various options that may be available to help with personal problems, if any, that the employee may have.

Sign In to comment