Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dolly,
I am frequently hearing comments similar to yours that schools are tapping into their graduates to fill the ranks of faculty. I appreciate your comment that they first gain experience in the real world, which I believe is critically important, expecially from a credibility perspective in the classroom.
Pat

Tania,
Those are good sources of candidates for open positions. In the current state of the economy, it may not be necessary to use a staffing agency, which is going to cost your institution money. With unemployment rates as high as they are, your walk-ins and website might provide you with a ready source of candidates at little or no cost.
Pat

Hi Patricia,

I agree with you on the part the the student must have establish themselves some experiance in the field. We actually request for them to have a minimum of two years of experience.

Diana,
That is a great practice to require the 2 years of experience. With students today, you want to make sure that they feel as though they are getting value for their educational dollar. Having experienced faculty who have worked in the industry helps to ensure that they are getting that value.
Pat

Pat
My school have a lot of advertising where each job applicant should see the job oppening and get and interview.
We have the interview in very warm place where the applicant could feel relaxed.Another request for us is their experience on the field. To be a teacher they need two years with the active Lic.and also been working on the field for two year as minimun.

Mercedes,
It sounds like you have a good process in place. I like the fact that you require a minimum of two years experience/active licensure before an individual can be hired as a faculty member. That goes a long ways for the faculty member to establish credibility with the students.
Pat

Mercedes,
It sounds like you have a good process in place. I like the fact that you require a minimum of two years experience/active licensure before an individual can be hired as a faculty member. That goes a long ways for the faculty member to establish credibility with the students.
Pat

Pat

Our school uses different methods of recruiting, Staffing agencies, wesites, direct mail and formal students. Our direct mail listing comes from licensed proffessionals,this gives us the opportunity to find qualified employees.

Elsa

Elsa,
Welcome to the class.
The methods that you have listed are all good sources of qualified candidates for your open positions. In today's economy, it is probably not necessary to use recruiters to find candidates for you as that is an expense you may not need to incur. On the flip side, though, using a staffing agency allows you to "try out" a candidate before you make a longer term commitment.
Pat

We use various methods to hire staff. I find that sometimes thru referrals works great.

Hi Julie,
Welcome to the class.

I assume among those various methods you include classifieds, website postings, graduates, job fairs, etc. When referrals come from a trusted source, that referral source becomes an informal reference for the candidate. Today with access to the Internet, you are able to reach so many more potential candidates in a very inexpensive way. It can easily help to reduce your recruiting expenses.

Pat

We use various sources to find potential new hires.We use recent grads as instructors assistants,we find people through staffing agencies and job web sites.We look for the best candidates based on industry and company culture.

Hi Carmen,
Welcome to the class.

I am pleased to see that you are using multiple sources to find your best qualified candidates for your open positions. With the current state of the economy, that should give you ample candidates given the current unemployment rate. Your use of recent grads gives you an opportunity to view someone in that capacity before you would consider offering them a full-time teaching positions. That is a good method.
Pat

Our Company uses different types of recruiting methods: Monster.com and others; we also from time to time may use the newspaper, as well as staffing companies. Some are more effective than others. We have been very successful up to now as we have an experienced HR Director. One important factor is to allow the Director or Manager of the Department who is looking for the person so she/he can also provide his/her opinion about the applicant.

Our Company uses different types of recruiting practices: Monster.com and other web companies. Staffing companies are also helpful as the applicants come recommended for the position required. Some times, when the right candidate has not been found, placing an add in the most famous newspaper helps a great deal.

Hi Nelly,
Welcome to the class. I think it is important that you use of variety of sources such as you have indicated. Different sources will attract different candidates. Communicating the specific needs/qualifications to HR allows them to commence the search but the hiring manager really needs to be involved in the applicanat review process. There are always some requirements that may not be adequately communicated in a job description or an experience that sets a candidate apart.
Pat

Hi Madeline,
Welcome to the class. Different recruiting sources, as you indicate, is key in getting the best qualified candidates. For some positions, local recruiting may be adequate but for those positions where you are competing with business/industry or where there are few candidates, it may be necessary to recruit nationally. Recommendations from staff are usually helpful as well. Establishing a solid job description makes it easier to recruit the best qualified candidates.
Pat

Our company uses referral, our website and staffing services. I believe they are all effective but the best type is staffing.

We use a variety of practices including e-recruiting, websites such as monster, print ads (though less and less), and most importantly employee referral. I have found that employee referrals often work out very well because the existing employee has a working feel and understanding of our organizational culture. Typically, referrals made by existing employees have the technical skills because the referring employee is familiar with their ability and the cultural fit because the referring knows if they would be a good fit in the organization.

In some cases we use internal recruiters to attend professional events to recruit qualified applicants. In the recent turn in the job market there is less need for active external recruitment. Most applicants are motivated and approaching the organization for employment.

Hi James. Welcome to the class. You are right on target with your response. It sounds like your institution does a great job of recruiting top quality candidates. Part of the success of doing so is starting with a well written job description so that it is crystal clear to the candidate exactly what your expectations are and what qualifications the applicant must have. I particularly like your referral process. Getting referrals from your employees also sends a positive signal to you regarding the morale of your staff. If they are happy, they will encourage others to seek employment there as well.

Sign In to comment