Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our sources of recruitment is on line ads and staffing agencies. However, we get our best candidates from our associate referrals.

Our interview process includes phone screening and on site interview.

Lilly,
Welcome to the class.

If there anything that you do within the recruiting, screening, or interview process that ensures that you are getting/selecting the very best candidate?

Certainly, it is important that you have a well written job description identifying specific job responsibilities and qualifications against which you can compare candidates. That assists in the initial screening. The phone interview that you do serves as a second screening device and allows you to narrow down the number of candidates with whom you will do a face-to-face interview. The preparation that is done for the actual interview is important as well. Asking the "right" questions based on the job description helps to determine a candidates ability to do the job. Open-ended questions help determine a candidate's fit and ability to articulate. Asking all candidates the same questions allows for a good comparison of the potential employees.

Using referrals for creating that candidate pool is a good process. At least the person making the referral can vouch for the candidate and help in the screening process.
Pat

We use newspapers, internet, referrals from colleagues, trade publications and job fairs. These are all very effective, the best type for us is referrals from colleagues.

Before placing an ad, if it is an existing position I review the current job description for the position in question and verify that all existing information is correct; I also check if I want to make any changes in the job description. I consult with HR and with the person that will be in charge of the employee to be sure that all the information is correct and up to date. Then I go ahead and place a newspaper ad, internet ads, I talk to my colleagues to get referrals from them, trade publications, and call local colleges and universities to ask for referrals. I use all of these techniques to identify candidates. I think they are very effective because I always get a large number of applicants that are mostly qualified. I think the best type of recruitment method is the web and colleagues. Most applicants use the web to look for jobs so to me this is the best recruitment method.

Hi Maria,

Great response on recruitment. The job description is key to getting the right person for the job. Making sure, as you do, that the job description actually reflects the responsibilities of the position is key. Sources of recruiting have changed over the years as technology has become more sophisticated and accessible. Newspapers used to be a major source, but now, as you said, web and referrals are your best source. It is interesting, too, that you are finding good quality candidates who actually meet your qualifications. With the high unemployment rate today, it is typically more likely that candidates will apply for anything, including positions for which they do not meet the qualifications. I am pleased to hear that has not been your experience. Finding a fit, both in terms of meeting the qualifications and fitting with the organization, will help to build a team that is able to meet the company objectives and achieve results.
Pat

Our school uses a Wonderlich Test for basic mental skills and then puts the applicants through many series of questions. Their areas of questioning include why they want to go to our school, why did they select the discipline that they're going to pursue, what kind of family support do they have to finish our program, and a brief summary of their academic accomplishments.

And they are also informed that they will have to pass a drug test before admission.

Lawrence,
How could you use that same logic in recruiting the best person for a position within your campus? You need to start with a job description which very clearly lays out the job expectations and the qualifications for the position. Once you post the position and applications begin to come in, you need to compare the applications against the qualifications which you have identified. Preparing for the interview is next. The type of position for which you are recruiting will determine who is called upon to assist with the interviews. The interview should be structured in such a way that you are able to fairly and effectively compare candidates.I usually have a list of questions that I use with all candidates for a position, which allows me to makes that comparison.Once the interviews are done, all those who interviewed the candidates need to compare notes and select the best candidate.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Our school does have a list of questions to ask applicants, such as:

Will you have trouble coming to school each day?
What is your biggest weakness?
What is your biggest asset?
How have you done with your earlier school work?
Do you have family or friends for support?
We are a clock-hour school. Will you have any anticipated attendance problems?
Do you have any ear piercings, visible tattoos, or acrylic nails? (Big problem in the doctors' offices)

Lawrence,
What the forum question is getting at is when you recruit to hire new staff. This does not refer to the recruiting process for bringing in new students. So to reword the question: If you are hiring a new Admissions Representative, what do you do to ensure that you get the very best person for that position?

Dr. Patricia Kapper

When we recruit to hire new staff, we have to do background checks, examine their credentials, check with former employees, and see how well they connect with the interviewer as far as maintaining eye contact, determining their interest in our school, and determining if they'd have transportation problems.

Lawrence,
Now we are on the same track! Thank you, Lawrence.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Hi Patricia,
In the past I have been in the position of needing to replace an underperforming / unmotivated employee and would have benefited from tapping into my "local resource" of thriving employees and their network of associations but I was hesitant to do so out of fear that the employee I was looking to replace would hear about my intentions. Do you think I did the correct thing in not discussing this with other employees or might I have took a leap of faith and confided in certain employees that I thought might have helped me find a good replacement. We are a relatively small career school and don't have an HR department per se, so I wasn't able to seek guidance there.

We primarily use online resources like Monster and Craig's list, but typically will put the word out among current faculty when we are needing to hire a new position. As we are an audio technology school, we have used an industry specific job recruitment site called "mymusicjob.com".

Also, we have hired graduates after they have been working in the field for a period of time to teach a class or, on occasion, to fill an administrative position. These hires typically are successful ones because we benefited from the opportunity to get to know these students, their work habits, professionalism, and interpersonal skills.

It is hard to say what is the best recruitment method, as we have hired outstanding employees from both online sites as well as from personal referrals.

Mike,
If you placed a blind ad to fill the position of someone that you plan to terminate, then you are in a difficult position in terms of discussing the position. Once you are able to go public with it, then you have the opportunity to discuss with others. When you recruit for a position which is not yet vacant, it is impossible to seek referrals because of the likelihood that the information will leak out. It is one of those situations where you are between a rock and a hard place!
Dr. Patricia Kapper

Mike,
One of the keys to getting the very best person to fill a position is to start with a very specific job description. Screening candidates for the qualifications identified in the job description is the next step. I am a believer in a structured interview process. I like to establish my interview questions ahead of time and to ask the same questions of all of the candidates. It gives me a basis for comparing the candidates. Not everyone agrees with this process but it has always worked for me.
You talked about hiring graduates which can be a great way to hire the best possible candidate. Now you have a candidate, as you say that you know. Another techniques is getting referrals from other employees. At least you are not hiring blind. Even though you don't have an HR department, you can still establish a process that allows you to hire high quality individuals for your open positions.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

we mainly use Career builder for getting resumes. While I dont dislike Career builder I feel overwhelmed by the amount of resumes we get and the quality of the applicants. Even though we specify certain requirements I believe people are applying for everything and anything these days. Just my opinion. I do like Linked lately I find it to be geared more to the individuals assets. Just my opinion.

Holli,
Not knowing specifically the kinds of positions for which you are recruiting, it is difficult to recommend a particular source. However, referrals are usually a good source. At least the individual has been identified as a good potential candidate. Someone has seen their work habits and thinks they might be a good fit with your organization.
Professional associations are another possible source. Usually those organizations are career specific and that might cut down on applicants who are not qualified for the position. Of course, this whole process needs to begin with a detailed job description against which you screen all of your candidates. Minimizing the number of qualifications which are "preferred" vs. those which are "required," should result in better qualified candidates. You will always have those who apply for everything regardless if they meet the qualifications or not.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

We use Craig's List and employee referrals.

We end up getting hundreds of responses and and many of them do not meet the job or salary requirements.

Our best candidates are from our employees who best understand our business and what type of individual we need to fill the position.

I believe a source such as Monster may be better suited for the best qualified candidates.

Lauren,
You are the first to mention Craig's List for recruiting candidates. I guess that is another possible source for creating your pool. Although some will apply for anything, whether or not they have the qualifications, a well designed job description is key. That helps to screen those many applications and getting the number down to something more reasonable.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Yes Dr Kapper I agree with you regarding the well written Job Description. With our unemployment so high in the US and so many people out of work I feel many individuals are just applying for any job that is available. The economy is so tough that from what I see with applicants they will drive further distances, take less pay and hope that somehow they will qualify for the job.

Craigs list does not do any type of screening or catagorizing of the resumes. This makes for an abundance of responses and resumes.

Sign In to comment