Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Telephone communication

It's really a disadvantage to the communications process when all communications is conducted over the telephone.  Listening is so vital at this point because we can't see the body language of the other party. We really have to pay attention to voice quality to better understand what they're saying.

I try to picture them based on what I hear and don't hear. It makes it more of a real setting than just being on the phone.

It's also to our disadvantage that they do not see us, because I am sure that there are many times that we don't exhibit the kind of body language that we would with a student in person. I need to present myself as if the student were sitting across from me, because i believe that it really can come across in our tone or demeanor.

@lmeyerhoff - Lacey, I agree with you totally.  Even though we cannot see our students, if we sit up in our chairs and and go through the motions, or as you put it, exhibit the kind of body language we would have if the student were sitting right across from us, I really believe that students would pick up on our tone and excitement more.  It is easy to get lazy when you are staring at a computer screen all day. 

Agreed.  Phone conversations are hard to have when you are trying to show you are interested and listening to the speaker.  I think we perform all the functions of listening while we are on the phone, but the caller can't see it. 

Interesting comments! You are all correct in that your posture and demeanor over the phone can be picked up very easily. This is what makes it so important to take notice of your tone, etc, while on the phone as you mentioned. 

When you think about the disadvantages of being on the phone, consider that not all students personally need to come on campus to get information. If they prefer to "meet" over the phone, is that a disadvantage? 

Sign In to comment