Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

clean language

This was interesting. maybe a little extreem- but I think it is good insight to pay attention to the metaphors people use... I know for me personally, when I say a metaphor, I mean something completely different than when my husband uses the same metaphore- so really digging in and even using reflecting listening can help understand where a student is coming from

I agree that this technique seemed a little awkward, but it is important to understand exactly what someone means when using a methaphor.  I hear people misuse metaphors all the time, so digging deeper into the subject is certainly going to be helpful in clarifying meaning.

I've noticed recently that when someone uses a metaphor to describe a situation I'm in I immediately create a picture in my mind of what that looks like. And, that visual seems pretty powerful in summarizing what I'm feeling in that situation. I think metaphors have a way of bringing out what people are really thinking and feeling in a situation which makes this technique highly useful.

I agree with Skylar.  When a student uses a metaphor, it helps understand more of where they stand on something.  It is a way that they are expressing their trust in us, showing that they are comfortable letting us in to their thoughts on things.  I think for what we do, it is probably better for us to keep metaphors out of our part of the conversation and stick to reframing.  Just like we have to do with work jargon.

This mental picture makes the student more relatable and us more real to them.

Sign In to comment