Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

GROW

How do we use GROW in our initial conversation with students?

I think it would be so wonderful to be able to somehwere as the studnet "What do you want to accomplish by the end of our conversation today?" this automatically gives the student power, and shows that it is imprtant and crucial information- accomplishing something means being productive and productive means it's important

I think one of the best ways we can use this technique is in the portion of that initial conversation when we're helping our students see how a degree could change their lives. I just realized I gloss over this question; when in reality that is a great opportunity to dig in and help our students see what can really be achieved. This technique of questioning would fit nicely into that portion of the conversation.

Good stuff guys! I think that it may be helpful to take the approach like we do with accredidation and financial aid. We approach it that we want to educate them so they can make an informed decision wherever they are looking.  That builds rapport that we are looking out for them. Asking them what they want to accomplish shows that we dont' have an agenda.

@obrechts09

I think the best way to grow our initial conversation with students is to show them that we understand things from their perspective.  If we do this the student will be more inclined to believe or give credit to what we have to say and follow our guidance.  If we don’t  look at things from the persons perspective that we are speaking with they will decide that we don’t understand what they are going through and dismiss what we have to say.

Sign In to comment