Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

James,
this is a great strategy. I have found that when I can engage the audience in talking quickly, they are more engaged throughout the presentation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

i like to start the class by having some questions on the board, give them a few minutes to work on them then go straight into talking about the questions, give them the answer for them, and then go straight from there into lecture, or lab.. (the questions i put on the board always have something to do with the lecture for that day.)

James,
this is a great way to set the expectations & the parameters for the class.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We have found that having the students follow a learn, do, teach format and having them present on something they researched helps them learn the material better and keeps them more involved.

Suzie ,
this is a great way to keep them engaged & to solidify the learning.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I.too, teach in the healthcare field- students love real examples of my experiences with topics - they tell me repeatedly how much the stories and examples help them understand, learn, and recall items for an exam- it works well for me and the students I teach because I do not teach many hands-on courses- mostly theory- so any examples really do go a long way.

jean,
the real life stories & examples are a great way to reach the students & engage any audience.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I like this idea. I have a coworker (an instructor)who has started doing this and the students are responding very well to it. He leads and/or participates in the discussion. Have you done both and which do you find most effective?

Sign In to comment