Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have found that one of the ways I can get my audience involved in my presentation is to introduce them to my favorite radio station, WII FM.

Most have not heard of that radio station and there is always some commentary to that effect.

When I explain that WII FM is "What's In It For Me," I usually get some happy response.

But I then follow up that introduction with the affirmation that the presentation speaks to their needs and will address their concerns. By so doing, I make the presentation personal to THEM and not just a performance on my part.

Make sure that you have done your research! Also, ask for help with that to see if someone else is able to see something that you don't. Collaboratively, you can better customize your presentation.

Robbi,
I really like the idea of asking for help. Having others review your presentation & give you feedback can greatly help.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The best way for me to customize my presentation is to always read my audience.

Also be prepared to change how I am presenting.

For example if my audience is a group of "suits" and after my introduction I find out via body language and the conversations before that they are very casual even when they are dealing with the high part of business. I make quickly change the background of my presentations or if I have a tie in my bag quickly put it on with my outfit as a gag and to get a few laughs as I start.

Any presenter will tell that you always need to adapt.

Christine,

yes, audience adaptation is one of the most important skills of an effective presenter.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Since my lectures are usually 2-3 hours long with breaks, I try to look into the back ground of my students. I try to send a survey out ahead of time to get to know them. The surveys are nothing to personal, just what brought them here, what are their goals and whatever else they want to share. This helps me understand how much education they have or how long it’s been since they have been in school. I use this information to tailor my level of lecture to their level of learning. I may give more or less exercises along with the lecture depending on the level or background of science classes they have recently had to help understand the material. Being in an accelerated program doesn’t leave much time to fall behind and fail.

Since my lectures are usually 2-3 hours long with breaks, I try to look into the back ground of my students. I try to send a survey out ahead of time to get to know them. The surveys are nothing to personal, just what brought them here, what are their goals and whatever else they want to share. This helps me understand how much education they have or how long it’s been since they have been in school. I use this information to tailor my level of lecture to their level of learning. I may give more or less exercises along with the lecture depending on the level or background of science classes they have recently had to help understand the material. Being in an accelerated program doesn’t leave much time to fall behind and fail.

You have to know what your audience is there for. Do your homework ahead of time so your presentation fits the audience.

I've always been interested in who's in my audience. When I teach, I ask my students what their goals are after college. So if a student wants to own an Auto Repair shop, I try to explain points in a way that is relevant to their goal. I feel sometimes it can look like we are trying to hard if we may assumptions about our audience.

In order to customize your presentation, you must know the audience ... and then decide to how best "tweak" you talk to reach the majority of your audience.

When it is apparent the audience is bored or not very enthused about the topic, I find that a direct question to an individual asking for feedback about how they might handle a specific situation or for their ideas on one of the points can help re-engage them. Also, if you purposely ask an individual a question, the rest of the audience may perk up to avoid being embarrassed should the next question be directed at them. You want your presentation to be as interesting as possible, but some required topics are just hard to spice up when no one is really interested. Humor along the way can help, as well.

Joe,
while so simple this is so vitally important. I've heard presentations before where clearly the person did not do this research ahead of time.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Anne,
yes, the material may not need to change drastically but how you tailor it & present it can be flexible.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

With knowing the class/students I know I will be teaching the topic to and knowing their learning styles will help me teach to make it effective for them. I think while having a power point or hand out is always a plus for my students while up there teaching them the information. Last 5 to 10 mins of class do a run over of what was just covered in class.

As I am an instructor at a culinary college...it seems that during the lecture class you have to really keep them engaged and focused on "talking" about food and cooking becuase thier minds are on the actual act of wanting to cook. Its a daily and sometimes minute to minute assesment of the class to make sure they are listening and involved. If they are not than the Lab day the next day is very difficult for them so during the lecture I implement a lot of questions at the end to make sure they understood everything and know what the task is in the next day's lab.

Sign In to comment