Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lessons from childhood

As I worked through this module, I couldn't help but to think of the coaches of my childhood: from softball to cheerleading and from parents to youth leaders.

This reflection caused me to think about the experiences I learned from and those that brought confusion or frustration. Those "coaches" and their methods are similar to those I actually need to be applying at work.

Just as teachers need to return to the classroom on a regular basis in order to relate more effectively with the students they teach. Coaches also need to learn from those they coach.

Yes, this is key. Coaches should approach each situation as eager to learn from the other person as the other person is eager to learn from them.
Ryan

Karen, I appreciate your lessons from childhood. Like you, I think of my baseball, football, and other coaches from life activities growing up. I admire the coaches who listened to what I had to say and who provided direction and correction over time. I aspire to provide the same type of supportive environment for those that I manage and I look to my supervisor for support as I learn more about the expectations of my job. After being in one type of higher education administration field for the last decade (Student Affairs), I find myself learning a whole new world in Academic Affairs and it is amazing at how much there is to learn, although many of my approaches to leadership, communication, and management help me in this new responsibility. I am eager to continue to learn and grow so that one day I may serve as a campus president and be a coach to many various department managers, staff, and employees. Thanks for sharing!

I agree with the lessons we learn from childhood coaches - sometimes it is the simplest of things that can change the situation and help the faculty member or student achieve their goal. I think collaboration is the key - sharing knowledge usually helps both parties.

Great comment. Too often we assume the other person knows what we know or are thinking.
Ryan

A great activity is to think of the top 3 or 4 most influential leaders/coaches in your life & then write down 2-3 specific lessons you learned from each of them. I've found this helpful to refocus my own leadership efforts.
Ryan

I may coach my students, but, I am also their biggest cheerleader. My students dont have people to look up to or encourage them so in a sense I am the coach, but also their biggest fan!

Yes and I think the important to remember here is that really part of the role of the leader/coach is to be a cheerleader! It is definitely not an either/or proposition but rather a yes/and...
Ryan

I think my best coaches are ones that I knew cared about me. I try to transmit that to the people I am coaching -- that I care.

C Coughlin

Yes, when we can demonstrate our care to others we are miles ahead in our coaching. And really the fact that we care should propel us to have those difficult conversations when it is for the benefit for others.
Ryan

One key to good coaching I see when I need to do that is to take into consideration the personality type that I am coaching. Some people are introverts with a ferocious work ethic. All they need is guidance of what to do. It seems some people are clueless and are just in it for the money. Some wnt to do a good job for your approval. Others don't want any attention at all. "Just let them work". That's just a sample of what I have observed. Have you encountered these personalities?

Absolutely & you're right that we need to consider personality types. For the reasons you stated & also as a match to our own. If we're not careful we can approach the coaching conversation, assuming that person wants to receive information/coaching the same way we do, which may not be the case. We must always take time to consider the individual.
Ryan

It has been said that people dont care how much you know until they know how much you care. As an instructor I have found this to be very true. My students dont give a hill of beans about my experience until they feel that I am truly concerned about thier goals and aspirations.

I hadn't thought of it as coaching up to this point but that is what I have been doing all along. I try and work with the stregths that each individual has and use that to help teach or coach them in a way that will be productive for them. Some students recquire that extra nudge sometimes to encourage them or show them what they are capable of.

I believe the coaches role earlier in life is very critical to development. When I was growing up on the ballfield my coaches took a more physical approach (slapping me in the back of the head) if I stepped out of line, but on the other hand was great at praising for correct behavior. In my classroom you can tell which type of ball coach each student had! I still prefer the slapping I mean coaching!

Jessie,
Yes, sometimes as the leader we need to be ready to help our folks see where they have stepped out of line. Then we need to encourage them when they are performing well.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Yes,coaches are very critical to development of our learning and understandings how to do things the right way in life. Most of the coaches I have had in my life helped me stay on the right path to performing well in life.

Allen,
when we truly experience the power of a coach it really is an amazing thing.

Dr. Ryan Meers

This reminds me of an article I read about a basketball coach who talked about his coaching style. He was a very successful coach and he felt part of the reason for his success was that he was able to adapt his coaching style to each player. Some players he had to be "almost gentle" with when he needed them to work on a skill. Other players he had to be more aggressive (for lack of a better word). His ability to understand each player on a personal level allowed him to modify his coaching so he could have each player listen to his coaching.

Being new to management, I have seen how true this is. Each instructor requires a different approach depending on their personality. This is where I have to really be watchful of their body languages and really listen to not only the words but the tones and emotions behind them. Only then, do I feel I have a better understanding of how to approach them about ideas or situations.

Lisa,
yes, one of the key parts of transformational leadership is individualized consideration: knowing each of your followers & helping them grow personally.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment