Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Virtual Team Collaboration

As the leader first be clear on goals and what the team's charge is to eliminate confusion. You can foster team collaboration by asking for everyone's opinions. Creating 'buy-in' with the team members is important. Also identify everyone's strengths and divide up the tasks within the project by their strengths. Everyone will be able to contribute in the areas they have the most knowledge about.

Diane,

Again, you make some excellent points. By giving team members “stretch assignments” they have the opportunity to grow and develop, thereby becoming move valuable members of your team. One downside to this strategy is that you should be prepared to provide guidance, in case they fail, to ensure that the team or the project does not suffer. Can you think of any other upsides or downsides to using stretch assignments to improve the effectiveness of your team?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Good morning. I see what you are saying however from my standpoint this could be an upside for me. It keeps me current, it shows the team that they are not asked to do anything I'm not willing to do and that i can 'roll up my sleeves' and work right along side them. Thanks.

Diane,

You are right. Especially in the beginning, the best leader is one who looks, listens, and learns about their team. That is a great way to earn respect. I also recommend that new leaders take and distribute good minutes and follow through on tasks. Walking the walk will establish a positive culture.

Dr. Jamie Morley

How can you foster team collaboration with virtual teams?

Sign In to comment