Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Todd,
That is great to hear. This is something that I strongly encourage of all managers, unfortunately few follow through. To me what makes it a good use of time is (for 1 thing) there is a clear agenda & both of you know why you are having the meeting & I'm guessing you often walk away with definite action items. Glad to hear this!
Ryan

I would definetly first make sure that I do understand company goals and that I do understand the departament indivudual goals.If so, I would take the time to request a verbal meeting where I can discuss her expectations and share my ideas on how i would be an asset to achieved those goals.

Nora,
yes, the key to these situations is to open up the dialogue & to see how we can help.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I definately agree that communication is the key and is essential for establishing expectations. I always like to clarify expectations on periodic face- to -face meetings with my manager. We hold regular weekly meetings were we communicate progress on various projects.

Marietta ,
this is a great strategy. The regular touch base meetings are a great way to ensure that we are on the same page.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

communication is a major key in establishing an effective relationship with your manager.Communicating with your manager may be tricky at times, but if you Develop a better understanding of your manager's viewpoints,
Check for agreement on critical points,
Continue to build trust and rapport,and
Verify or clarify information, you will establish a mutual expectation.

Susana,
these are great points to remember. It is especially important that we check on the agreement on the key ideas & points as that can be disastrous if we don't.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Totally agree. I have had jobs in the past where the communication was either vague or non existent. It makes it very difficult to engage with management. The frustration can in fact rise so high, that there might not be any communication.

Chris,
yes, communication channels must be clear & open with messages flowing both directions.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Communication is key. I recently just came back to work from a LOA and on my return I was given a new position and had a new manager. I was able to meet with my new manager and set goals and expectations in writing. The meeting definately cleared up many questions that I had and made my transition into the new position smooth.

guadalupe,
this is a great example of how positive these expectation setting meetings can & should be.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have the except situation with my manager. Because I get little direction or feedback, I email my plan in order to get documentation. Whether or not I get a response I know I am communicating my plan before it is set into action.

Marc,
this is a good idea as this way you can say that you've communicated your plan.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe that clear and honest communication is key. I have had a recent experience with a new campus president whereby his expectations are different from previous presidents. As well, the tasks that he is assigning and reporting style is unfamiliar to me. I honestly expressed to him my need for support in learning how to give him what he needed and he was very open and receptive to that honesty. I do consider his role here and his background compared to mine, and I have found that clear, concise, and honest communication is working well. There is still more I need to learn however about how to best work with him and give him what he needs as he too has superiors that make demands on him. So that has to be considered as well. It continues to be a learning process but keeping the doors open to communication is key for continued success.

Linda,
this is a great point & highlights the value of communication & also both parties being open & honest. Your steps show your president that you want to work with him & help him be successful too.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We meet on a weekly and a daily basis on any issues. We do not wait for a one on one meeting we keep on top of things as they arise and we work together to get a game plan set. We realize chain of command and we respect it.

cindy,
this is a great approach & strategy--don't let the issues simmer or they become roaring fires.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I usually begin with verbal communication. It seems more practical for me to get an assessment this way. I then have an idea of the expectations that could help both, my manager and myself, be more efficient in our efforts. Last, I present the expectations on paper to more openly discuss them and adjust them if necessary. Like most others have stated, communication is key.

I am open minded, and a good communicator. I believe that my brain soaks up more information when I am open minded about the subject! Too many times I have gone into a meeting not wanting to hear the information.....and I didn't!

Shelly,
this is an excellent point. If we enter meetings or conversations unwilling to listen, we will get what we want--nothing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment