Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Listening Skills in an Admissions Rep

It has been my experience through the 17 years that I have been in Admissions, that the "Listening" skill is one of 2 primary skills that an Admissions Rep must utilize daily if they are to become great Admissions Reps. The other primary skill is to ask "Smart" questions in order to utilize the "listening" skill properly. When a rep practices theses 2 skills effectively, they will find repeated success in what they do for a career.

Betina, I agree it is vital to listen, and follow-up with smart questions. The key is listening first; without this important skill, we would fail in the key area of what smart questions to ask. I have never learned anything while I was talking....

I have only been doing this for about a month. You are absolutely correct. Listening is the most important aspect of our job. If you show that you are listening to your prospect, you start to build a trust with them. If you are listening effectively and like you said "asking the smart questions", i have found they usually come back.

I think if you listen properly and have true interest, then the questioning is automatic. Then the listening, then the questioning. It is almost like seeing an old friend that you haven't seen in a long time. Legitimate caring and listening.

Sign In to comment