Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Feedback

What is the sandwich method of providing feedback and when is it appropriate to use. Give an example of its proper use.

The sandwich feedback technique is a popular three-step procedure to help managers with providing corrective feedback. The sandwich feedback method consists of praise followed by corrective feedback followed by more praise. In other words, the sandwich feedback method involves discussing corrective feedback that is “sandwiched” between two layers of praise.

The purported benefits of this technique are twofold: (1) it “softens” the impact of the criticism or corrective feedback on an employee, and, (2) given that a manager is probably more comfortable with praising the employee, the manager finds it easier to discuss problems with the employee’s behavior if this discussion begins and ends with praising the employee.

Oxford Brookes University provides a detailed breakdown of the sandwich method on their website:

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/services/ocsd/firstwords/fw21.html

I recently learned about the sandwich approach and have to say I think it is a fantastic approach to use when giving feedback. The idea behind the sandwich approach is to start with something positive and end with something positive and sandwich the negative/improvement/suggestion comments in the middle. This helps the student start and end on a positive note.

This is good stuff.It will help a student stay focused without feeling bad about areas that need improvement.

Thanks for this post!

Great suggestion. I will definitely use this sandwich method in tutoring sessions.

I remember learning about the "compliment sandwich" since I was in high school. We learned that when you want to give someone a correction or feedback, start with the positive, then discuss the item that could be improved upon, then follow up by another positive item.

There you have the compliment sandwich.

Sign In to comment