Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting students to pay attention and not use computers during lectures

Are any of you instructors. I teach a college course in Computers and we are not able to lock the computers. Is there any strategies out there for keeping students from playing or working ahead on the computer and keep them listening and focussed.

Hi,

I also teach a college course in Computers and what I do when I lecture in the lab is to ask the students to turn off their monitors. Besides, I move around the room during the lecture, so I can keep the focus of the students on me and the lecture all the time. If the lecture requires the use of the computers, I walk around the lab asking questions very often about the lecture topic. So far, the above techniques have worked well in my classrooms.

I teach at a technical school. Turning off the monitors is a great idea and we do that in our labs.

The other way we avoid this problem is by the room layout. Teachers in our labs can see every screen. Since the students know they will be observed not paying attention, most will not attempt to use the computers during a lecture.

That's a good suggestion on turning off the monitors to keep the students focused. Many students bring their laptops/netbooks to follow the presentation and take notes. Should the student listen to what is being presented and turn-off the laptop/netbook?

I think if you active involve your students in the lecture with questions or with discussions it would help to reduce the use of computers.

I have my students sign a classroom agreement at the beginning of each quarter. This quarter I gave them a grade of 100% for intialing the points and signing the agreement (and turning in the agreement). Part of the agreement was the understanding that extra credit points for the quarter would be added to this assignment, plus points would be deducted from that assignment for being on facebook during the time that they should be participating (or listening) in class. So far (two weeks into the quarter) I haven't had anyone on facebook during class lectures or discussions.

Sign In to comment