Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Presentation

As long as a joke is in good taste is it all right to tell one, even if it's not about the subject your about to present?

Good point Elizabeth,I would say that any subject of humor could used, as long as no one gets offended.

In order to get students attention, I find it best to start out with a joke but I try to keep it on topic. This way, they are intrigued by what is to come.

I Agree telling a joke at the beginning of presentation sometime tend to break the ice and get the audience attention to pay attention to you because you may actually be interesting.

I avoid jokes because I can never remember them and am not a good joke teller - that is a talent. However, I find it easier to relate an experience I have had related to the topic, and I allow it to poke fun at me. That ususally helps in breaking the ice. Refer to Al Gore's opening comments in "The Inconvient Truth". He poked fun at himself and his bid to be President.

I find that a joke can be helpful but also should not be over used. That is, an instructor who always jokes or starts that way loses credablity.

If the joke will establish rapport it is ok to share.

Sign In to comment