Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication

It is important to hold instructors meetings at least once a monthe to give everyone a chance to discuss any issues they have or any topics they would like to discuss.

I have to admit I am not a meeting person. However, we have weekly faculty meetings at our school and I enjoy most of them. Our Director uses the meetings to inform, support, uplift, and address any issues of the day week etc. Our faculty team really functions as a unit because of our Director.

I must agree with Yolanda, when meetings are productive they work very well. We have a Director that uses meetings for the same purpose.

Do your monthly meetings include faculty that do not work full time at one of your locations? For example, I'm an adjunct instructor that travels a lot with my full time regular job. How do you communicate with someone in that situation? Thanks.

My boss distributes copies of the meeting meetings to each instructor and emails reminders, updates etc to all of the faculty.

I agree with the group about how critical monthly meetings can be. I'm also adjunct faculty and sometimes feel isolated but I've been doing this for so long that I've grown to appreciate the importance of monthly group meetings. It's sometimes tricky to work it into my schedule but I know the problems I encounter without that consistent line of communication. My college also offers recorded versions of the meetings if I can't make them, which is great. I also live by my e-mail and use that for everything. It just seems to get overloaded all the time, no matter how much I organize and delete. Does anyone have any suggestions on handling this issue? Thank you.

I AGREE ON THE MONTHLY MEETINGS. I ALSO THINK THAT IT'S IMPORTANT FOR THE MAIN PERSON GIVING THE MEETING TO BE OPEN TO CRITIZISM. A MEETING SHOULDN'T BE JUST ONE SIDED. IT SHOULDN'T BE TO INFORM PEOPLE ABOUT CHANGES AND THEN NOT BE OPEN FOR DISCUSSION.

I Agree

I agree with this statment, it gives th instuctors a chance to bring new ideas to the table as well as discuss any problems that they might be having.

I agree.

It is also important for other departments to have meetings. Our Career Services Department have a meeting once a week to discuss any important school-wide information, any gripes, new ideas, etc. This is very important for communication and knowledge.

I agree completely. I also like to hold a quick meeting (5-10min.) every morning with my instructors, so we all know what everyone else is planning on that day. Keeps everyone in the loop.

Yes but try to be flexable about when meetings take place and make sure time is well used.

It is important to hold meetings to discuss different issues/topics. Some of my co-workers have the same students as I may have, so I can ask him/her if they are having issues with a student. To see if there is anything either one of us can do to help the student. It also reminds us all the activities that are coming up in the department/school.

Sign In to comment