Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using the Forum

This forum is not facilitated by a faculty member. The intention of the forum is to allow you to interact with other course participants - career school professionals who have the same interests as you. You can start a new discussion thread on any topic related to this course or participate in any ongoing discussions. Go ahead, post a question and/or share your knowledge and experiences with your peers. Let us create an active learning community where we can all learn from each other.

Note that the discussions in this forum occur in an asynchronous fashion. So please don't expect a reply right away. The best way to track the discussions is to add them to "My Threads". This option is available for each discussion thread. When you add a thread to "My Threads", you will receive an email copy of each posted message that is related to that thread. If you make a post, that thread is automatically added to "My Threads". You can manage your discussion thread subscriptions via a link that appears on the homepage of each forum.

As an adjunct, I often have to overcome my isolation teaching in the evenings. How do you become more a participant or make staff aware that you really do want to know about the affairs of the school?

I am not aware of how communication is delivered throughout your institution. However, I suggest utilizing bulletin boards, easels and attending faculty meetings would be the best way to be informed about functions or events that are occuring at your institution. If the information is delivered and received in a timely manner this will give opportunites for others to make preparations to participate or attend some of the functions.

I agree with the bulletin board but I am an online instructor only so I rely heavily on email. Our institution puts out a weekly brief about the different campuses so we can keep up on news, training, and meetings throughout the institution as a whole. We have at least 7 different campuses and I only see the instuctors together once a quarter so the weekly email is great!

I would address the situation with the president or dean during a staff meeting because all instructors rather day or night class should be given the same memos, informative information as Day teachers and let them know you are not receiving updates on etc available options, events within the school.

As an instructor in a post secondry school,I believe that communication between the instructional faculty and management should take place at least twice a month on any important matter that affects the institution as a whole. This way everyone is informed, at the same time, about what is and what is not.

I have been teaching for a number of years as an Adjunct and enjoyed flexibility that it afforded. However, I did make the jump to full time teaching and am now missing the freedom I experienced as an Adjunct. But the best way that I found to be included and learn about the inner workings of the school was to get on the list for the faculty meetings and try to fit in a few. Then volunteer for some projects. They will be shocked that an Adjunct cares but they will also be over joyed to have you on the team.

Sign In to comment