Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team Leader

Do you believe that anybody can be trained to be a Team Leader? Why or why not?

I think that people can be trained to be a team leader and be committed to make a difference through trainings and supports,however the most important for me to be a good team leader will be to create and have empathy to others and understand and show others that you will be always ready to learn from your mistakes as well.

Yanely,
Empathy is a very important ingredient for leadership. Equally important are the leadership skills required to ensure business goals are met and growth opportunities are provided to team members.There is a vast difference between managing and team verses leading a team.

Ron Obstfeld

I do not believe anyone can be trained to be a good team leader. My finding is when using small groups with different leaders, all of them are able to manage the team. With good coaching some of them will become good leaders but not all. A few are already good leaders. You can train and coach them all to become good team managers.
I have added the word good, who wants to be a average leader?

Darryl,
There is a distinct difference between a manager and a leader. One can learn to manage....even learn to be a good manager. Management is more like administering processes and procedures. Leadership requires inspiration, expert understanding of people, empathy, experience and some pizzazz. In my mind a great leader is one who can manage well AND inspire a team.

Ron Obstfeld

I believe that anyone with the drive and desire can become a leader.

Laura,
Sometimes drive and desire is not enough. You should also have the talent, education and experience to be an effective leader.

Ron Obstfeld

No, I do not believe that anybody can be trained to be a team leader, because you need not have a particular combination of skills and personality traits to lead others, is merely the result of the right combination of personal characteristics.

Magdali,
I would disagree. Leadership skills can be learned. There are a vast number of courses and management schools have that have trained outstanding leaders.

Ron Obstfeld

I do not believe that anyone can be trained to be a good team leader. I believe that a team leader must have certain innate qualities and characteristics to excel in this position. for example, a leader must be able to understand and foster good group dynamics, to resolve group problems, and to motivate action among group members. I do believe that natural team leaders can always benefit from further training, education, and experience.

No I do not think everyone can be a team leader. There are certain traits that one has in order to be a successful leader. Some individuals are better at being part of the team and rather than the one in charge. Many times leadership may come naturally to some, and in other cases a person may learn the skills but just because a person goes to school to learn how to "lead" doesn't mean they will be successful.

Audrey,
Maybe not EVERYONE can be a leader....but they should be given a chance. This will allow for self awareness and you might be suprised how people can rise to the occasion. Through education and experience the leadership skills can be learned....BUT on everyone is meant to lead

Ron Obstfeld

I think it possible to train an individual to become a successful team lead. The key would be to produce a level of confidence within that individual through training that would drive them to produce successful team leadership.(I must add that there is an assumption that you have talent) However, I do believe that some individuals, through previous experience are better able to handle the responsibility of team lead. In the end, becoming a team lead is a skill set, and like any skill set, it take time and practice.

I think another question is what makes a great team lead different from a good team lead? What are those inate qualities that one must posses?

Rene,
I agree that you can "train" a team lead in such skills as organization, communication and planning. In my opinion what seperates a good leader from a great leader are people skills...listening,empathy,intuition and vision.

Ron Obstfeld

You do not need to be trained to be a team leader. Anyone can serve as the leader as long as one has the knowledge, common sense, and the initiative.

Jagrup,

I disagree. There are numerous professional situations where formal training would be a great asset in resolving important issues.

Ron Obstfeld

I do believe people can learn the skills as to function as a leader but the best leaders I’ve met have a spark of creativity and personality congruent to the education they pursue as to become a leader. That does not mean to say that people cannot learn to lead—they can—as a skill. Thus, I do think most people have a chance to manifest leadership qualities. Yet, from personal experiences, the most effective leaders seem to have a perspective and worldview supporting creativity as part of leadership activities. I honestly do not think that school can teach. Perhaps experience, real life success and failures, and passion may teach or offer such a gift. But, honestly, I do not know.

So, if I had to choose an answer, I’d say yes – people can be trained to manifest and utilize leadership skills as to propel a team. But, is it really just that? Is it just using skills? That’s where I want to disagree because the drive to champion, paceset, and “be” the leader is more than that. There’s some intangible quality that fuels a leader although they temper it with rational thought and training.

But, I do want to say, I do think everyone has some sort of leadership quality within them. I think the trick is getting enough education, experience, and trial-and-error as to find it.

Steven,
Good answer. My personal view is ....you can teach people to manage....but not to lead. Leadership is not so much a skill as it is a quality.

Ron Obstfeld

Any person of reasonable mind can be trained to be a Team Leader. The Law of Process indicates that leaders aren't born; They are taught. Leadership is learned.

Grace,
I diagree....Leadership is a combination of skills,intuition and trust. Only skills can be learned.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment