Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Collaboration is people working together to reach a common goal.

Good communication skills is an important part of collaborating.

William,
You are correct in that good communication skills are essential when collaborating to ensure that the message being communicated is the one that is intended.

Which communication skills do you believe are the most important?
Jamie

Leslie, I agree with your thoughts and would also add what the thread topic is "spirit of collaboration". When collaborating with peers in a group or team when the energy is high and positive, it fosters an environment that most want to participate in - collaboration to me how well/effective a team can achieve it's goals, short or long term for the good of the organization.

Noreen,

Very nice addition to Leslie's definition! When I think of collaborating, I immediately think of working with people with different viewpoints or specialties than I have. To me, it is silly to collaborate all the time with likeminded individuals -- that is how "group-think" happens. Collaboration to me involves embracing alternative solutions.

Dr. Jamie Morley

The C's --Be Goal driven --be "SMART"
Communication --must be open, honest and sincere.

Consistency - treat all fairly - be open to change

Comfort zone--need to be mindful of various personalities and how sometimes breaking out of their zone is difficult.

Confidence - involve all especially those that are more individual workers who are not extroverts.

Creativity---think outside the box--brainstorm

Customer Service-- make sure the product or service is of untmost concern

Mary Lou ,

Excellent use of the “C’s!” I especially agree that consistency is key to ensuring that employees feel valued and secure because they understand that everybody is treated fairly. I would also add “charismatic” to your list. It is always easier to get employees to buy-in to a new idea or strategy if the leader is enthusiastic about it.

Well done.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I have a similar definition of collaboration. My definition is "the act of working with another or others on a joint project." Essential skills are communication, a sense of humor, patience, and the willingness to be fully involved in a project.

I have a similar definition of collaboration. My definition is "the act of working with another or others on a joint project." Essential skills are communication, a sense of humor, patience, and the willingness to be fully involved in a project.

Audrey,

I like your definition. An important aspect of collaboration is the willingness to work together. If people do not want to come together to reach consensus or a goal, it is not true collaboration. The essential skills you mention go a long way in encouraging people to “want to” collaborate. I would also add negotiation as a skill that is beneficial when collaborating. Knowing how to give and take during a project is very helpful.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Audrey,

I like your definition. An important aspect of collaboration is the willingness to work together. If people do not want to come together to reach consensus or a goal, it is not true collaboration. The essential skills you mention go a long way in encouraging people to “want to” collaborate. I would also add negotiation as a skill that is beneficial when collaborating. Knowing how to give and take during a project is very helpful.

Dr. Jamie Morley

A group of people committed to the same goal, begins by brainstorming ideas, no matter how zany! The more the better - sometimes ideas beget more - hearing one person recommend one thing may begin the outpouring of originality you want.

My definition of collaboration is a group of individuals working together to reach a common goal. I believe that there are several essential characteristics required for a good collaborative team environment. These characteristics include, but are not limited to: Having an open mind, envisioning the final result, working together, having good open and honest communication amongst team members.

Jeff,

I like your definition. An important aspect of collaboration is the willingness to work together. If people do not want to come together to reach consensus or a goal, it is not true collaboration. The essential skills you mention, like having an open mind, go a long way in encouraging people to “want to” collaborate. I would also add negotiation as a skill that is beneficial when collaborating. Knowing how to give and take during a project is very helpful. There is a book titled You can Negotiate Anything that is an easy read and has some good practical tips for any type of manager.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Kathryn,
You are right! Allowing a freeform of ideas in a safe environment enables everybody to be creative. A good manager or team leader needs to be able to help channel or compartmentalize great ideas into actionable ones – since that is the goal of collaborating on projects. If you were a manager and you had a team of motivated folks who all wanted their ideas to be utilized, how would you prioritize them without squashing their spirits?

Dr. Jamie Morley

What is your personal definition of collaboration? What characteristics do you believe are essential to creating and maintaining a collaborative team environment?

when collaborating we need to be open realistic
honest. To be able to be frank without judgments and keep to the point not speculation

The essentials to foster collaboration are first (1) Ability to embrace that no wo/man is an island; You need others, (2)Results and victories are sweetest when you attain them with the help of other people whom you shared goals with, and (3)Acknowledging the strengths of others to complement yours (and vice versa) not only get the job done, it gets the job done well, and it makes you a better human being, appreciating other people's talents, while practicing humility (admitting that you are not perfect and others have marvelous ideas too).

Sign In to comment