Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personal integrity

Personal integrity is an individual’s decency, respectability, and character. Morally decent individuals are honest and fulfill their commitments. An individual of integrity treats everyone they encounter with respect, fairness, impartiality, and compassion, seeing in others a reflection of themselves. Personal integrity is a necessary component of a supervisor and leader. It is essential in achieving respect for oneself, and the respect and cooperation of others.

Maintaining one’s personal integrity is essential if you want your direct reports to follow you. One must lead by example, set the bar, and always display professionalism. If a manager jeopardizes his/her personal integrity once, it is hard to regain the respect of your direct reports

roy,
great synopsis of this very important area for leaders. And so true that once sacrificed/jeopardized, it is so hard to regain.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Thank you
I have taught Ethics and I try to emphasis the important of maintain one’s personal integrity. Unfortunately, in today’s job situation, many individuals are in fear of losing his/her job that personal integrity is sometimes erroneous.

roy,
this is true & this is where we, as leaders, can really set the example.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I love what you said, I second that. One line I wrote down and will take with me is " Inspire and achieve against all odds with integrity.

Yes, I agree. Based on the definition of integrity provided - which is quite good - it is based on a value system that needs to hold up especially when there is fear and unpredictability. Isnt a true leader fearless?

Without integrity we are nothing. Our word is our only truth about who we really are.

I totally agree with your statement. Personal integrity is so essential. Set good examples for your direct reports to follow. Aspire and achieve. Such a good vision.

Personal Integrity is the key to gaining respect, trust and loyalty from individuals (direct reports, collegues, superiors). Being able to lead and manage as you stated, by example. Without this reaching goals successfully will fail. To establish esteem, honor, and worthy for success of individual.

Barbara,
and we must be patient to establish this integrity & respect with our direct reports.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Absolutely! And that can take time depending on the individual.

I think personal integrity is getting harder to find in the average workplace. It seems that unethical practices for getting ahead are becoming more valued than a sense of integrity. We need to focus on how we get to the bottom line not just the bottom line.

Lori,
this is so true. Just look at how many universities are creating "Centers for Ethics" & this tells you the challenge.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree, today’s job situation / market puts a strain on ethics and integrity for many leaders, since they are forced to choose bottom line of profits. What may be worse, leaders do not even have a choice in certain situation if they do want to stay employed themselves. Keeping ones integrity intact may come with a hefty price tag.

Blanka,
and one must decide if you're willing to pay the price or keep your integrity intact.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment