Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rewarding Success

I have found that rewarding employees for the work they have accomplished can be very important. Prior to this course I had always let the employee know that I appreciate everything that they do, and that they are doing a good job. I find this gives the employees a better feeling about what they have done, and that what they do, is getting noticed. What I did learn, is that by creating a safe enviroment, it will give the employees a place to get away and vent frustration.

Mark,
this is true & we also need to make sure that we are connecting the rewards/praise to specific performance so they know what to repeat.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Mark
I would agree with you. I have found that a sincere thank you or I really do appreciate your hard work and efforts. Way too often we take for granted what our direct reports do, especially when we know they can be counted on.

Another method to show your team that you value them is with simple expression of how much they mean to you. I had a supervisor who you place hand written notes in your mail box thanking you for doing something extra. I find that by giving praise to my team, I gain their support and confidence in me as a leader.

roy,
and making sure we tell them exactly what they did that is so appreciated so they know we know.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree that by adding the statement great job on "such and such" project really shows the employee that they are being noticed for their work. Otherwise if you arbitrarily throw out praise and rewards for one thing it gets old and for another it won't take long for employees to feel like they are being praised without a sincere meaning behind it.

Renee,
and when we connect the praise to specific behaviors, it is much more likely to be repeated than if we make them guess at what they did that was so "awesome."

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

yes, it is very important to be specific with praise. It seems that everyone at our school is always thanking others for what we do but many times I believe they are just going through the motions because it is never specific. People like to hear exactly what they did well.

Rewarding sucess is the key to keeping employees happy, boosting ego and a job well done always helps out!!!

Paul,
definitely true & making sure that when we are rewarding their success we tie the rewards to specific behaviors.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

i strongly agree about rewarding employees for doing a great job. it really works.
edgar

I find that when I need to ensure that my employees know they have done a great job I give praise during our staff meetings, for example when a goal is reached I acknowledge it in our weekly meeting and I give the staff an opportunity to share in the acknowledgement. Also remembering to say Thank you for a job well done. Not enough people say thank you each day and I feel that really can make an employee feel appreciated for their work each day.

Sign In to comment