Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes I agree. I am very aware when I don't hold up these high standards within myself, and for my group, that the team loses trust in me and lack of safety and uncertainty start to be the focus of the group's energy.

When employees have the skills to do a job and to make decisions about how best to get their work done, I find they are so grateful to have the freedom of the Democratic style. Also, it includes them in sharing their wisdom, and shows respect and acknowledgment of their skills. This hat recognition of their abilities is worth so much to them.

Priscilla,
this is a great approach when we balance it with sharing the vision & direction so they can consistently self-evaluate to make sure they are aligned with the big picture.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I believe that listening and caring about your employees helps build a mutual respect, in turn, employees work more effectively...

Jeannine ,
I think you are right on with your assessment here. Nothing can replace a good leader who truly cares for her/his people.

Dr. Ryan Meers

A good leader would be someone who has the experience and the ability to lead. By having those traits it ensures that a person is able to have a clear vision. By having a vision that is clear and has both short term and long term goals and objectives that the person would be a success in the role of leader. In addition, the person would need to have goals that are manageable and obtainable because if the goals are not realistic than it will fall short, and there will be disconnect between the manager and their vision that they expect their employees to follow.

Gregory,
this is a great synopsis of a good leader. I would add that they need the ability to communicate that vision too.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I would also add that the leader be genuine and transparent. The employee can see right through the leader and will know he/she is not telling the truth. This may cause the employee to tune his/her leader out, affecting performance, motivation, and morale in the department.

These are all great. I have found that the key is to walk the walk. Leaders who tell people what to do without doing the work themselves are not effective. I believe in walking along with my staff, getting my hands dirty and providing an opportunity for them to develop themselves to get ready for management positions if they become available.

I strongly agree with Transparency and staying HUMBLE! Also a great leader once told me you have to learn walk the talk and talk the walk. And always be ready to role your sleeves up and be a team player.

Laura,
yes, being a transparent & authentic leader is a key to effective leadership.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

There's an old adage that says "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care". I have found that one of the most valuable assets you can have when leading is if your people know that you have their best interest at heart. Many times our decisions are unpopular and have the tendency to draw pushback. But even when I've had to make difficult decisions, it has helped me because my team knows that I've been mindful of their well-being as well as the company's.

I have worked for multiple leaders in the last 20+ years and I personally believe the following traits are critical for a leader; dedication, trust, integrity, willingness to empower others, and a person who stands behind their employees. I would like to think I have these traits, however I struggle with relating to others. A great leader has to strike the balance between caring for their people and caring so much that you allow them to walk all over them.

Lisa,
great point made here at the end of your post. We must demonstrate that we care, but this has to be gauged.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think an aspect often overlooked by management is the importance of leading by example. Of course, communication, active listening, problem-solving and motivational/negotiation skills are extremely important characteristics. But if one fails to earn the respect (expertise and trust) of subordinates, by setting an example, achieving goals maybe be severely slow to impossible to reach. Furthermore, if the leader fails to show they are invested in both the company and its internal family (staff), others will quickly adapt to portraying the same demeanor; becoming isolated and disassociated. In turn, the desire to perform 100+% each and everyday is greatly diminished. I agree that your only as strong as your weakest link. However, every link are affected and influenced by the Leader. If they have a "don't care attitude", complain all the time, etc. it will be contagious.

Cory,
I completely agree that the leading by example is key as this helps build the credibility & trust.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I teach a ledaership development course focused on competencies. Most common student selections for ideal leaders are patience, integrity and trust, a work life balance. These have been selected by students consistently over the past 2 years. The choices demonstrate a contemporary leadership viewpoint...a millenial influence.

A good leader also needs to be able to roll the sleeves up and work elbow to elbow with their team members.

Sign In to comment